The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
BIKE BUILDER
Superbrace
BIKE BUILDER

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonny Chop Zombie
Other Motorcycle Year: 1965
Tommy_Gunn has disabled reputation
Default XL1200S will this ignition module fit?

I want to increase the limit at which my rev limiter comes in on my 1200S (02MY).

I have been looking around for S/E part 32734-98 when I came across H-D part # 32967-98.

Does anyone have 32967-98 fitted to a later 1200S or is this purely for the non-dual plug heads?

If this is the incorrect p/n any advise on which ones do fit (if I can get one NOS) would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Tommy Gunn

Last edited by Tommy_Gunn; 27th March 2008 at 21:37.. Reason: Incorrectly stated 2000 my onwards
Old 27th March 2008
Biker

Apologies but bumping this.

Moderators - hope I haven't broken any rules by doing this.

Tommy
Old 27th March 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Gunn View Post
I want to increase the limit at which my rev limiter comes in on my 1200S (02MY).

I have been looking around for S/E part 32734-98 when I came across H-D part # 32967-98.

Does anyone have 32967-98 fitted to a later (2000>) 1200S or is this purely for the non-dual plug heads?

If this is the incorrect p/n any advise on which ones do fit (if I can get one NOS) would be much appreciated.
Tommy Gunn
Tommy Gunn

I have 32967-98 fitted to my 1200S. It's a 7500rpm module specifically for the 1200S.
They also do (did?) a 6800rpm module p/no. 32979-98.

Both the above part numbers were for the ignition module only, but I've been looking back through old accessories catalogues snd found that from '99 onwards HD sold ignition modules together with a choice of different colour "performance" coils as a kit, part numbers:

6800rpm limit:
32734-98 with black coil
32735-98 with red coil
32736-98 with orange coil

7500rpm limit:
32737-98 with black coil
32738-98 with red coil
32739-98 with orange coil.

The 7500rpm module is safe to fit - I've had one on my bike for about 9 years - but with stock valve gear try not to rev over 6000rpm too often, and I'd advise you to never take it over 6500rpm. I'm in the process of fitting XB heads, so I should be safe to 7000rpm.

Both Daytona Twintek and Dynatek do nose-cone ignition modules that will fit the 1200S (I've been looking into it recently, but it'll have to wait for now ($$$)), but both need you to change the stock coil to a Dyna coil, and replace the MAP sensor with their VOES switch. Both these modules enable the advance curve and rev limit to be altered to suit state of tune. PM me if you need more info on these systems.
Old 27th March 2008
Biker

SteelWorker - Many thanks for the info (lots of it). Sounds like if someone has NOS of the S/E 32967-98 I'm on a winner then. I perhaps got confused over the fact that the dual plug heads were used from 1998 (not 2000 as I previously quoted).

Thinking back I had a 99MY 1200S and that was dual plugged too DOH! I think I must be loosing it a bit (I hit 40 this year!!!).

If I'm not successful in my NOS quest, then sounds like Dynatek or similar are the answer. Funny thing is that I wrote to Dynatek (who, for information, were very helpful), but they didn't mention the VOES switch. Perhaps they overlooked this.

They quoted the following parts -

D2KI-1P - Ignition Module
DC6-4 - Coil for Dual Plug Single Fire

Any further info would be appreciated regarding the after-market options.

Many thanks

Tommy G
Old 27th March 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster Sport
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Haggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enoughHaggisman14 will become famous soon enough

Not sure about the other companies, but I myself am using the SE 7500RPM module. and have notice some serious gains in the low end grunt....much faster acceleration. I have yet to take her on the highway...and next year plan on putting new heads, but as for a stock 1200S....I love me that module!

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/HDXL1200S/

I got mine from a guy over on the yahoo newsgroups as no one here had one, and recommended that site.

Marc
Ramflo 400 A/C, RB Racing LSR 2-1 Chrome Turnout; Mustang Vintage Solo & Pillion Pad, Roland Sands Design Black Tracker Grips, Sik N Twisted 13" Monkey Barz, Harrison Specialties LED Blinkers, HID hi/low 6k Light, Lick's Solo Bag, RK rear shocks, custom sissy bar, custom paint by Fast Eddie in Long Island.
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th March 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCustom 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Fourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enough

Yep, the module does improve the low end grunt , right now! I found myself shifting earlier that I did with the stock ignition {sometimes} Pinging was there sometimes also, need to run good gas. If I had kept the bike I would have tried the 883 sprocket, to "enhance" the street performance
Old 27th March 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Gunn View Post
If I'm not successful in my NOS quest, then sounds like Dynatek or similar are the answer. Funny thing is that I wrote to Dynatek (who, for information, were very helpful), but they didn't mention the VOES switch. Perhaps they overlooked this.

They quoted the following parts -

D2KI-1P - Ignition Module
DC6-4 - Coil for Dual Plug Single Fire
Yeah, I wrote to Dynatek recently too, end they came back with the same info:
"The ignition is the easy part. Use our Dyna 2000i system, number D2Ki-1P.
The biggest obstacle is coil fitment, as you will have to run two (2) dual output coils, such as our DC1-1 set. The alternative is to use our modular DC6-4 coil which is one unit housing 2 coils. On a Sportster, coil mounting can be an issue, especially as these coils are larger than the stock coil.
Otherwise, the ignition will work well on your model."

So maybe you don't need to replace the MAP sensor with their system, but it's worth looking onto it further because the Daytona Twintek website ( http://www.daytona-twintec.com/model_1005.html ) states:
"Sportster« 1200S with Dual Plug Heads
The Sportster«1200S model with dual plug heads comes with a special ignition module, similar to that used on Twin-Cam 88« models. If you require a programmable aftermarket ignition for the 1200S, we have the solution. You can use our standard Model 1005 (not the 1005S). The Model 1005 mounts in the nose cone. The original equipment coil has low resistance primary windings that are not compatible with the Model 1005. You must replace the original equipment coil with an aftermarket four tower coil, such as the Dyna DC6-4, that has 3 ohm primary resistance. Please refer to our Dual Spark Plug Tech Note for more details. You will have to remove the original equipment MAP sensor. You will also require our timing rotor (P/N ROTOR-32402) and VOES switch (P/N VOES-KIT-MC7)".
Old 8th April 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
CURARE is on a distinguished roadCURARE is on a distinguished roadCURARE is on a distinguished roadCURARE is on a distinguished road

I have personally done the daytona twintec path as stated by Steelworker for my 1200S converted to 88'.
It works no problem. But buy everything they say. Timing rotor and the VOES that will replace the MAP.
Old 9th April 2008
Biker

Hi guys - Many thanks for all your replies. Sorry been a bit busy for just over a week now as my first baby has been born (few weeks early but all is good). Once things are settled, I'll catch up on things and start planning which way to go with this. Many thanks again, your advise is appreciated.

Tommy
Old 9th April 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Congrats on the baby, Tommy Gunn.
If it's a boy, are you gonna name him Gatlin?
Know Thy Hog