The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > VENDORS > NRHS - High Performance
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
ledbelly (61), sportrod (61), pjcav (47), jgaither (46), naru (42), eberky (38), Paulie420 (35), 83xls
Bison Motorsports
Ironworks Magazine
Licks Cycles
Biltwell

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 FXD Chopper Blue
barry1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

A few of us have gone the route of putting the SE big twin round ac kit on our bikes.

Any chance of a round backing plate with this type of funnel configuration becoming available?
95 inch and more very soon.
Old 27th January 2005
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

I'll shoot straight with you, not likely. The reason is that it's a pretty saturated market. An awful lot of offerings already out there and some of them aren't half bad designs. Besides, I like the ham cans, they give room for a really big element, and that's one thing these motors like, a LOT of surface area.
Old 27th January 2005

Thanks. I wish I had seen these a few weeks ago though. I am going to get the filter that the Arlen Ness big sucker II kits use and put it on my BT AC kit. It's almost an inch thicker and tapers from 7 at the base to 7 3/4 inches at the cover ,than the regular filter that comes in the kit. Not as good as yours but it's what I got right now.

Sucks to be me I guess, or not in this case.

Last edited by barry1967; 27th January 2005 at 23:10..
Old 27th January 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing
BTW, the Frontier significantly outperformed the Buell Race Kit filter every time I tested them, and the only real difference between them was the venturi ring. It makes a difference!

I used ta see a lot of guys puttin their old style SE air cleaners on without the venturi ring

I can recall in one of my old books some cross sections of carb/aircleaner venturis..

Makes a large difference if you can get it right and it's not always the one you'd think either

I've got a block of ally sitting in the corner that I'm gonna play with later....

I still want the ham can but I want it offset for knee clearance with the wide filter and I'm gonna be runnin a Mikuni later, so I need to make somethin up to flow smoothly into the Mik.
I think the adapter ring is a bit of a stop gap measure.

Unfortunately by the time I get one of Aarons over here it's a bit too dear.

And 'sides I'm the mad old bastard that likes doin it all himself..
Old 28th January 2005

I got a block of poly that I was thinking of modifying into my own ventui ring. I already have a second 04 style manifold that I had welded up at work and hand ported. It's almost done. Once I finish it post pics.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th January 2005
The XL Forum Host

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 Stage 2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
bplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant future

Ok, maybe this is a very dumb question but here it goes.

I know what a venturi ring is but what the heck does it do and why is it so important?

XLF on FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/XLFORUM

AMA #961454
MY GALLERY

02 883 > NRHS 1250 Stage 2 - Nasty Nancy
Old 28th January 2005
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that a good question, cause I'd like to know too

Gazza
Old 28th January 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

OK .... on the older style SE air cleaners they had a sheet aluminium backing plate.

This backing plate gave a sharp edge where the air went into the carby mouth...

A square edge is difficult for air to go around without creating a pocket of turbulence.

A black plastic ring was fitted on the outside of the carby mouth to smooth the incoming air...

This is called a Venturi ring ... as it's sorta part of a venturi

If you can smooth and direct the air flow coming into the carb and reduce turbulence you get more air in a more contolled form....

more controlled air without turbulence is what we are trying to achieve thru the whole system..

The more controlled and the less turbulence ... the more air we can get thru there........ more air = more oxygen ... more oxygen means we can burn more fuel... more fuel = more power

Bert you're in the army ....
how many soldiers can you move from one area to another on foot compared to civilians?.....
we wana turn the air into well trained soldiers that go where they're told ....
and not sitting around in little pockets talkin or havin a smoke...

A venturi ring is like basic trainin ... it straightens 'em up as they go thru
Old 28th January 2005

RedRider has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplinson
Ok, maybe this is a very dumb question but here it goes.

I know what a venturi ring is but what the heck does it do and why is it so important?
The automotive equivalent of a venturi ring is the old K&N stub stack that was popular during the heyday of carbureted performance V8 engines. Some of you guys probably remember these... Their purpose was the same; take out some turbulence & straighten out the airflow.

I guess I'm starting to show my age here....
Old 28th January 2005
The XL Forum Host

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 Stage 2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
bplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant future

Sounds good to me.
Know Thy Hog