The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
Fix My Hog

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '97
skooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enough

$15,000.00 and 1,500 miles don't make you a biker!
Old 22nd January 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '97
skooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enoughskooter will become famous soon enough

When I got my license it was as easy as most others who got theirs years ago. These days it is much harder to get. I'm not exactly sure of the details but in Ontario Canada we have progressive motorcycle licensing. The first stage only allows you to ride in the daylight on roads limited to 50 mph speeds and no passengers and absolutely no alcohol in your blood. The next stage allows you to ride on larger highways in the daylight only and no passengers and no alcohol. The final stage allows you to drive day or night on any road at any speed with a passenger and you can drink alcohol. By the time you get your full license you are qualified to screw up as big as you want.
Old 22nd January 2005
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS Roadster Wannabe
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: HD (Aermacchi) Sprint
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
alleydude is on a distinguished roadalleydude is on a distinguished roadalleydude is on a distinguished roadalleydude is on a distinguished road

Safety course? We don't need no stinkin' safety course!

Ken
HDSprint.com
Old 22nd January 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
gilx is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my bike in June of last year after not haveing ridden for about 15 years. To be able to commute to my work, I was required to take a local MSF advanced rider course. Glad I did. It forced me to recall some things I had forgotten. However, I think at least as important as the MSF course is to get a lot of miles under your seat. Experience with the bike is absolutely required to know how it handles, and how you react with it. Although I felt fairly confident riding it from the first, in retrospect I was in jeopardy for about the first 3000 miles. It wasn't, for me, until after about then that I was able to instinctively react...with the bike...to surprise situations in traffic. The bike needs to be broken in, I think the rider does as well. I would strongly recommend, especially for us older riders, to take it easy, ride the back roads, conciously practice what was learned in the MSF course, and develop the skills needed to be a safe rider. Old dogs can learn new tricks!

"'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and
remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain
Old 22nd January 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 08 XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 08 XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 012 DL1000 Vstrom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
jnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of light

What I see happening, is that most of the deaths, and accidents involve drinking. The wrecks at Daytona bike week almost always involve drinking.
I think that drinking, and not wearing helmets are the cause of most of the deaths, not so much the age group.
I have been riding for 35+ years, but I don't drink. A bunch of people that I know that ride always involve bars and drinking, but they golf and drink, play softball, and drink, bowl and drink, ride motorcycles and drink.

Last edited by jnor; 22nd January 2005 at 23:42..
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd January 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 08 XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 08 XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 012 DL1000 Vstrom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
jnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of lightjnor is a glorious beacon of light

Your right, most of the people that i know who ride, only ride 1500 miles a year or less and claim to be riders. Also the load a passenger on the back and drink, which a recipe for disaster. I have Harley's and sport bikes, but the sportbike people ride much more than the Harley people.
Old 22nd January 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom 1200
collinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura about

Great experiment by Motorcycle Cruiser staff called: "Rolling Stoned Experiments in riding"! It's a quick read for all of us who like our brewsky.

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/drunk/

Billy Nobeeronaharley
Yo momma!
Old 22nd January 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom 1200
collinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=jnor]Your right, most of the people that i know who ride, only ride 1500 miles a year or less and claim to be riders. QUOTE]

I probably fall in that category! I ride approximately 3,000 mi. per year. My bike is garaged from December through mid April due to the midwest weather. At 60, I'm very mindful each new season, that I have spent 4 1/2 months out of the saddle. I usually spend some cautious riding time before I go into my one wheel and bike jumping routines.

Billy
Old 23rd January 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

not me man, light the wick, drop the hammer and waaaaaaa hooooooooooooooo , one wheel , smoke rollin' out the back , and the ol'lady hanging on for dear life , spring is right around the corner
thank god for darwin ;)
Old 23rd January 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Darhawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsb
Great experiment by Motorcycle Cruiser staff called: "Rolling Stoned Experiments in riding"! It's a quick read for all of us who like our brewsky.

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/drunk/

Billy Nobeeronaharley
Very good article...................it points out clearly many of the reasons I quit drinking.
Know Thy Hog