The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Foxcreek Leather
Bison Motorsports
Dead Creek Cycles

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dustin.marple is on a distinguished roaddustin.marple is on a distinguished road
Default 412 Installation Question

Just received my 11.5" Heavy Duty 412's today and installing tomorrow. Anybody who has installed aftermarket shocks, is it ok to use the same bolts that came with the bike on the shocks for my new shocks? I heard that the bolt may go bad once taken off the bike. Has anybody used different bolts and nuts than what come stock on their bike when installing new shocks?

Thanks
Old 4th April 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883H'97
samppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of light

I've always used the original hardware when replacing shocks and haven't had any problems... Maybe new bolts & nuts could be in order but I'm not sure why stock bolts would go bad if you don't do anything funny with those.
Old 4th April 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
ed_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of light

Unless the stock bolts are stripped, stretched, broken, or bent there shouldn't be any problem re-using them. I did.
Well ... that explains a lot.