The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
Ironworks Magazine

NRHS

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2005
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FXR
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Mattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of light
Default Open element air filters and rain

We've all seen em, those air filter kits where the filter is exposed to all the elements the bike is. What happens if you get caught in a freek rain storm?

The reason I ask is I'm in the market for a better filter kit and as of now it looks like the teardrop kit S&S sells will be it, but I've seen the others and always wonder about rain.
Old 26th December 2005
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nothing at the moment
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB360
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
avnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura about

the water will limit airflow at the filter area that has gotten wet, but the filter will flow air from other (dry) areas of the element and not draw water. You would have to submerge the cleaner to really ingest any appreciable amount of water. short version "no problem"
Old 26th December 2005
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Exposed elements are fine in short frequent rain storms, just have to re-oil them if they are the K&N ones
soon after to help water proof and filter the dirty air out. Been caught many times in rainy conditions and
not one single problem what so ever with a exposed element. Besides the little bit of water that does get
inside will help burn off that extra carbon buildup inside your motor.

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

Riding Through Life One Mile At A Time!!!
Old 26th December 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 2001 883 Custom
Desertfox has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard
We've all seen em, those air filter kits where the filter is exposed to all the elements the bike is. What happens if you get caught in a freek rain storm?

The reason I ask is I'm in the market for a better filter kit and as of now it looks like the teardrop kit S&S sells will be it, but I've seen the others and always wonder about rain.

On my old K750 Honda I had velocity stacks on all four carbs. Ran like a banshee even in a dirving East Texas turd floater between Houston and Port Arthur. Rained steadily for two straight hours at 60 mph, not even a hickup.
Old 26th December 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I am one of those carzy guys who will ride in the rain if i have to. The weather does not determine ride or no ride, it determines how to dress.

My previous bike had a Kuryakyn Hypercharger. Never a problem in the rain.

The filter element is not paper. It is not dammaged by water. The oil is not washed away by the rain water [may be different on the ones that are fully exposed tho].
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th December 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl -883-2004
f77 has disabled reputation

during my last ride
i was caught in a heavy rain storm......
well, the my air cover filter (stock)didn't work.......
and the water enter in the filter element (se) i've a lot of choking problem
for a plenty kilometers...
Old 26th December 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS 750 L
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
thatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to beholdthatbikerguy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick
I am one of those carzy guys who will ride in the rain if i have to. The weather does not determine ride or no ride, it determines how to dress.
Ahh! Another biker like me.