The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Sky Smith Insurance
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches
Licks Cycles

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2005
Biker

Dash has disabled reputation
Default Drag bars for 05' Sportster?

I've spent the last 2 days over at the New York Motorcycle show looking at bikes, and I've narrowed down my choices to the new Triumph Bonneville, and the new Sportster. Anyway, at the show they had an 883, and an 883L right next to each other. I really liked the stance of the 883L, but I HATED the bars. When I asked my local dealer awhile back if I could swap the stock bars for Drag bars he said "yeah sure, no problem, 50 bucks". When I asked one of the Harley reps at the bike show if they could show me the bar options for the new 883 in the parts catalog that they had there we couldn't find a single drag styled bar for the new Sportster. I was looking to simply swap out the bars and not have to get risers, but it dosent look as if there is ANY drag bar for the new Sportster in the catalog. I thought that was strange. So I was wondering....where do you guys think I can find drag bars for a new sportster? I could have swarn I saw somebody on here with an 04' 883 standard with drag bars. I found them in the catalog for the custom, but nothing for the standard or the low. Any advice?
Old 24th January 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

I have drags on my 05 L with 4 inch dyna pullback risers. You might want to look at the flattrack bars if you want to go with the stock risers. Drags on the short risers are pretty low and there is tank interference. I would think many of the bars in the multi-fit section of the catalogue would fit.

Last edited by XLFREAK; 24th January 2005 at 01:50..
Old 24th January 2005
Biker

Thanks rstoll! Check your PM's.
Old 24th January 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

You can also use superbike bars which compensate for the 1" rise of stock risers. They are not drags but they will get you in the same seating position. I just put my drags back on because they do yook better than superbike bars. My gallery shows bike with superbike bars. and with drags if you wait a few minutes.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 24th January 2005
Chief Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: anniv dyna fxdl
Other Motorcycle Year: 03
harleymanjay04 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash
I've spent the last 2 days over at the New York Motorcycle show looking at bikes, and I've narrowed down my choices to the new Triumph Bonneville, and the new Sportster. Anyway, at the show they had an 883, and an 883L right next to each other. I really liked the stance of the 883L, but I HATED the bars. When I asked my local dealer awhile back if I could swap the stock bars for Drag bars he said "yeah sure, no problem, 50 bucks". When I asked one of the Harley reps at the bike show if they could show me the bar options for the new 883 in the parts catalog that they had there we couldn't find a single drag styled bar for the new Sportster. I was looking to simply swap out the bars and not have to get risers, but it dosent look as if there is ANY drag bar for the new Sportster in the catalog. I thought that was strange. So I was wondering....where do you guys think I can find drag bars for a new sportster? I could have swarn I saw somebody on here with an 04' 883 standard with drag bars. I found them in the catalog for the custom, but nothing for the standard or the low. Any advice?
hey dash.
check out my gallery,i just put them on about 3 wks ago.hd p#56558-95
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th January 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
crackers is on a distinguished roadcrackers is on a distinguished roadcrackers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymanjay04
check out my gallery,i just put them on about 3 wks ago.hd p#56558-95
i was looking at putting these on.

how do they feel compared to the stock bars?
how much forward do these make you lean?

cheers
crackers
Old 24th January 2005
Biker

rottenralph, thats a cool ass bike you got there. Do you have any clerance issues when using the drag bars set up?

harleymanjay04, those bars are nice but I think they are only compatible with the 883C, and 1200C.

Anybody else out there have drag bars on their 883 standard, 883 low, or 1200 roadster?
Old 24th January 2005
Biker

joker13 has disabled reputation

I have drag bars on my 04 883 std. Any drag bar will work. Why does it have to be hd. Go to jp cycle. I had to get 4" pull back risers to clear the tank. Then just ordered the bar that I like. I did it all for under a $100.00.
Old 24th January 2005
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1989
gearhead is an unknown quantity at this point

yea, I think it only has to be a 1" bar to be compatible. You might have to work out some clearance issues with the tank, but that is true of most drag bars setups. And definatley consider aftermarket, Will get of cheaper, although you may have to do the work yourself, If you could find harley place that would get you the bars and do the work for 50 bux, you should do that =)
Old 24th January 2005
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
toadster is an unknown quantity at this point

I ordered drag bars from zanotti harley pt # 56558-95 for 30.00.and 5.10 for shipping.The best price I could find.
Know Thy Hog