The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Dead Creek Cycles
Get Lowered

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice
Default 530 Chain on a 69 XLCH

I purchased a New chain only it is a 530 as recommended by my Dealer.
it appears too big for an early Ironhead and it would ripe up everything in site going through the Sprocket cover, I placed it back into the box, Goin back to my dealer Monday.

What is a good quality 520 chain that will not stretch as much as those old Diamond chains from years ago?
I know in advance that I will not run an O ring chain... been years since I purchased a chain for a bike..

Thanks for the Help here..
Old 20th April 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
72 Ironhead XLH has disabled reputation

I run a 530 Diamond on mine.No issues.
Old 20th April 2008

Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice
Default Hey 72

Is it a 72? they do not have the dry clutch with the cable and worm gear running next to the chain, pre 71 XLs do..
Old 20th April 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
72 Ironhead XLH has disabled reputation

Your right ,I forgot that item but it should still work.
Old 20th April 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte03 View Post
I purchased a New chain only it is a 530 as recommended by my Dealer.
it appears too big for an early Ironhead and it would ripe up everything in site going through the Sprocket cover, I placed it back into the box, Goin back to my dealer Monday.

What is a good quality 520 chain that will not stretch as much as those old Diamond chains from years ago?
I know in advance that I will not run an O ring chain... been years since I purchased a chain for a bike..

Thanks for the Help here..
Here I am in the IH section again...

This is not super technical, so I don't think I have any chance of getting THIS wrong...

Although it seems as if a 520 or 525 will go, due to the minimal slack that is there between the link saddles and rollers, only so much give-way IS there before it will bind over the sprocket.

OK, A 530 pitch chain is the standard on most if not all XL's, no matter what year, right??? So, if a 520 pitch is put on, although it will feed around the rear sprocket, which, BTW, tends to wear and feather forward quicker than the front drive sprocket, will it not bind and lock up going around the front sprocket?
The reason I have posted to this is that, I tried a 525 on my 88, all stock sprockets, (using the old chain I was replacing, linked to the new one to pull it thru with rear wheel off the ground and in neutral) it went around the rear ok, but over the front, it bound up and wouldn't move any further than about 3 or 4 teeth. This was because, although a few links settled onto the sprocket, taking up the slack I referred to above, the next link or two had no clear way place to set onto the sprocket. Causing the chain to ride above the teeth and hit against whatever, be it cover securing bolts, etc... under the cover. No go. Another chain. 530 this time and it went, no problem.

There was a lengthy thread concerning pitch and links a while back...

There are various width size chains of the same pitch. Which is, if you don't know, pitch is the distance between center to center of the chain roller pin. Have a look at the DIAMOND chains web site to see what I mean...

http://www.diamondchain.co.uk/catalogue.php

Last edited by williamv1203; 21st April 2008 at 07:42.. Reason: clarification
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th April 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Hi Monte03,

Standard 530, without O rings, should fit.

530 O ring won't. It will foul the clutch cable.

I always use 520 O ring but had to skin both sprockets to 1/4" thick. These don't foulm anything.

Patrick
Old 20th April 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

OK,
After reading thefrenchowl's post saying he runs 520 with no problem, I am completely wrong with all that I put in my post before his...

No more technical spec advice from me...
Old 20th April 2008

Default Chain Issues

Thanks to ALL,
the Question remains: what was the original size back in 1969?
the Harley Shop is even confused, heck, the Kid at the counter was born in 1985!!!!!

I will go with a high Quality 520 or 525 after I investigate but that 530 will infact eat the hell out of my New Old Stock 1969 Sprocket Cover and then you will witness a grown Man cry...
You can see why a BMW (shaft Drive) spoils the Hell out of you...
But damn I want to finish this Sportster and get out there..
Old 20th April 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumphs
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
Campsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the rough

If you are running a 24 tooth sprocket then you are going to have to grind some of the sprocket cover bracing away but a 530 should be no problem with a 23-22 tooth sprocket... and as Patrick said; NO O RING... a 67-87 XLH uses 106 Links. 1969 XLCH lists 104 links..

What size is your front sprocket? This is something simple, it has to be.

Jim
Old 20th April 2008

Default 530 Chain Updates

To All that replied,
I learned a lesson today, as I stated, been away from Sporties along time..
What I need is the standard 530 chain for my 69 XLCH, the chain given to me was a Tsubaki HD as in heavy Duty side plates..
the Heavy Duty is a full one hundred Thou wider than the standard when I measured and compaired with a calipar and this is why it not only looks Monsterous it will infact rip up my spocket cover if I tried to run it..
I will locate a Non O Ring 530 (standard) tomorrow, thanks Patrick, Camp, 72 and all the rest..
the bike is on a box 98% complete, looks awesome, working non stop every night since December so you know where I am at,
cannot wait to fire it up..
Know Thy Hog