The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
garbiker (80), alan2ring (66), gregg (64), MO-FO (59), tonygs (57), Ricen (50), cwilsonav8 (48), lthj75 (42)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
kcb is on a distinguished roadkcb is on a distinguished roadkcb is on a distinguished roadkcb is on a distinguished road
Default crack in primary chain tensioner boss

Searched but couldn't find this issue before. Cracked on both sides of the upper tensioner boss. Have it welded or just use Loctite? Something else?

As always, thanks in advance for any insight.

Ken

best image hosting free
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

aluminum and cracks usually do not bode well like cast iron. the crack needs to be stress relieved and welded. lock-tite is thread sealant, not a bondo. i would go for a filet weld where the entire hole is filled in and then drill and re-tap the hole for a steel insert for the correct size. steel threads will hold up better in the long run.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

ryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant future

If the threads have not pulled out if the bolt hole I would run it. Be sure to use as long of a bolt as possible as long as it does not bottom out.

This is my brain on XL
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

a chance one must consider
the thread will have little clamp force and the more you stress the hole, the looser it will become. if, just if, the bolt were to come out and lodge between the chain and sprockets, all hell can break loose.
also consider, if the fastener becomes loose, the the load is shifted to the other.
the absolute way to try and continue on would be the drill the head and install safety wire so it can only travel so far. remember though, the primary chain does flop around with load changes.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

ryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant future

My advice was based on an assembled running motor.

looking more closely at the picture I see the motor is disassembled.

Fix it now while it is apart.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
kcb is on a distinguished roadkcb is on a distinguished roadkcb is on a distinguished roadkcb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advise, figured welding was the best option. I am rebuilding the bike so no better time. I'll finish disassembly and clean everything up, go over it with a magnifing glass and see if there are any other spots.

Now to find someone who I can trust to actually weld cast aluminum
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Try at the airport or a good tool & die shop.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

Read this thread and out and see what you think.The reason I'm suggesting this is low heat.http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...60&postcount=2
Old 4 Weeks Ago

My guy runs the TIG torch around and around at low heat to sneak up on it. This will draw out trapped oil, keep cleaning and slowly increase the juice. Working on the edges of the weld slowly heating and cleaning til the edges start to melt. At this point the part is prewarmed and the oil and other crap has been cooked out of the crack. Then you can lay into it and start welding, stop if it starts to boil or get goobered and clean more.

This is my brain on XL
Sponsored Links
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Indian Joe is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing is to cut out the cracks,beved them ,clean and prepp,each alumiunm alloy-has a number assign ti it,is differ. Calling for a partuclar rod,either flux or gas welding shield.make certain absoutly no petroleum resides are present. maybe this will help.I,d fill in all beveled crack and the bolt hoe too.