The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
Alundrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rocker gaskets

Okay I am putting some new james gaskets on my 85 ironhead and just want to run this past you all. After getting surfaces flush I applied yamabond to the head and placed the new gasket on there. I then put rocker cover on and evenly tightened it down. My thought is that I'll adhere first this side of the gasket and ler it set overnight. The 2mo I will remove rocker cover and apply yamabond to the cover and replace and tighten. I figure this way I have less chance of jostling the gasket around when I set the cover on. Does this sound objectional to anyone? I could have did both sides of gasket at once but I just didn't want it slip sliding too much as I push cover down into place. Also should would my first step of reassembling this bike to be putting the motor onto frame? Or should I atrach wire harness that runs along bottom of frame first? I know these are rookie questions, vut this is my first rebuild and do not want to take steps backward if I don't have to. Thanks for any help you may have. One way or the other, this bike is gonna be awesome when I finish!