The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
prbetts (67), 1988XL (63), jbcant (62), gearman (59), rejeanprimeau, Hdrider8831200 (53), AOW (46), adair727, Mechano (42), 64physhy (42), Buckshot (40)
DK Customs
Burly
Energy One Clutches
Progressive Suspension

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
SDJose has disabled reputation
Default Avon Speedmaster MKII's?

Who here runs them on their bike? How do you like them? All opinions welcome. Thanks.
Old 18th January 2006
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never run them, but HrdlyDangrs recommended them to someone here a few days ago... in regards to an old school look question. It might be worth sending him a PM since he's not here every day he may not see this therad.

Gazza
Old 19th January 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
SDJose has disabled reputation

I sure appreciate your reply. Thanks and I'll send HrdlyDangrs a PM.
Old 22nd January 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
thunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the rough

I know by now Avon must have changed the formula on those things...at least I hope so! Looking at the tread pattern brought a chill to my spine. I had run the SMs (they called them "Safety Mileage"-I called them sado-masochistic!) back in the mid 70s-that was one scary tire! It had a 'squarer' profile than most tires and it gave the feeling of 'going up on an edge' in turns. Wet weather traction sucked...and on debris (sand, etc) they were positively evil. I was never so happy to put Dunlops on a bike in my life! Again, I hope Avon has changed the formula-but it still looks like the same tire.
To be fair to Avon (whose products I do like), I ran the Roadrunners in the 80s on the BMW and they were way better than the 'ContTwins'.

Kim