The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
883 Sportster
Lowbrow Customs

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Intruder
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
reblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the rough
Default How do i check the rectifier/regulator please ?

This is my 1st problem with my sportster , the battery is dropping to flat after a few rides , i tried changing battery since my friend was'nt using his sporty and borrowed his but its the same thing , battery flat after a day or two .
I was wondering if the rectifier/regulator has died , how would i check that ?
Thanks in advance
Serg
Old 24th April 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

QUICK WAY?

put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and note reading.

Then start and run the bike, note reading.

IF it's charging you should see 13-14 volts.

IF it's less than 12, then it's EITHER the voltage regulator OR the stator.

IF it's MORE, the voltage regulator is bad.

I'd need the manual to tell you how to check them specifically.
Old 24th April 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Cool

For AC output from stator:
Unplug the connector between the stator and regulator with bike running and use voltmeter into the two terminals from stator. You should have around a 18v push at 1000 rpm, if not, stator dead...

Also check for current draw with ign off, by using voltmeter on neg batt term (with neg cable off of it and pos still connected) and to a ground point on frame. If more than 1ma, there is a continuous current draw which is draining battery.
If it runs down during normal use, too many accessories putting strain on charging system. Do a load test. You will need specific load tester.

Last edited by williamv1203; 24th April 2008 at 17:46..
Old 24th April 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
ColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got a battery tender pig-tail on your bike then you can make up one of these:-

It's a battery tender extension lead (cut back and wire-stripped), some heat-shrink and a couple of banana plugs () all soldered together. You can then easily plug your test meter into your battery and do the quick tests as described by Kev.
Old 24th April 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCustom 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Fourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
QUICK WAY?

put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and note reading.

Then start and run the bike, note reading.

IF it's charging you should see 13-14 volts.

IF it's less than 12, then it's EITHER the voltage regulator OR the stator.

IF it's MORE, the voltage regulator is bad.

I'd need the manual to tell you how to check them specifically.

Thats quick & simple ...beats throwing parts at the problem.

" flat after a day or two..." I would guess the battery is simply not holding the charge, needs replaced.
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th April 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Intruder
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
reblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the roughreblu is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to all , tried all you told me guys , seems my regulator/rectifier is dead !
Im gonna get one a.s.a.p !