The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Don's Cyclewear
Biltwell
Hammer Performance
Energy One Clutches

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1996
Boxcar Billy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What year for P cams?

I bought a set of P cams from ebay and don't know what I have. THe #4 cam has no tach gear which I don't need for the 81,but the cam is about .325 inch short. I installed it anyway using a spacer from a model T transmission.If you pull the beveled gear off say a 78 does that shorten the cam? I want to get some hotter cams and sell these so I need the years for these. Thanks for any help Box Car Billy
Old 21st January 2006
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Billy
I bought a set of P cams from ebay and don't know what I have. THe #4 cam has no tach gear which I don't need for the 81,but the cam is about .325 inch short. I installed it anyway using a spacer from a model T transmission.If you pull the beveled gear off say a 78 does that shorten the cam? I want to get some hotter cams and sell these so I need the years for these. Thanks for any help Box Car Billy
From the 1979 to 1985 FM: < "P" type cams were used in 1979 production and "Q" type cams for 1980 and later production. ... When replacing cams use the same type as removed.>

Those cams are no good for your bike.

You could try the Andrews web site. I think i used PB+ cams when i rebuilt my 1980. They have a chart that tells you what you can use. http://www.andrews-products.com/.
Old 21st January 2006
Biker

I hear what you say that the P cams aren't too impressive but they are a big step up from the Q's. Same lift but the effective duration at .020 and .053 is a big jump. Sure brought my 81 to life above 4000. But I want a rattier idle. Hope to get the Y cams. Anybody run these? What do they idle like? Mine may not be fast but it sounds good. Box Car Billy,Drag pipes with washers and I'm having fun
Old 21st January 2006
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHTC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Fork has disabled reputation

I currently use the Y cams from Andrews. I changed from P cams.

The thing that I noticed first was the the Y cams had a milder or less choppy idle than the P cams. But the Y cams sound much better at rpm than do the P cams.
Old 24th January 2006
Biker

Thanks for the word on the cams, I'm keeping my eyes open for some. I found out that I have a #4 cam from an early ironhead that uses a mag. FWIW. Billy
Know Thy Hog