The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Speedway Instruments
Lowbrow Customs
BIKE BUILDER
883 Sportster

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2008
Be annoyed Now;Ask Me How

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
flskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to behold
Default Unique Speedo Problem

So last thursday morning my speedometer decided to stop working. But it's a little peculiar...

The unit is getting power. The backlight is working, the odometer comes on. The speedo needle jumps up like normal. But when I go forward, nothing. The odometer won't count miles either.

Usually it's a loose plug under the seat. But that kills the power to the entire unit. I checked all the plugs & connections and everything seems fine.

I'm guessing that it's a loose wire from the sending unit or maybe a bad sending unit.

Any suggestions?

BTW - One other small but maybe unrelated problem is that my rear turn signals won't auto turn off when I make a turn. (I have a load equalizer on my bike to power the turn signals when I changed them) Is it possible the LE has gone bad and caused both problems?

I am going to take that out and see what happens.

"... With Liberty & Justice for All." Must be 18, Void where prohibited, Some restrictions may apply, Not available in all 50 states.

"My intentions are good & earnest & true but under my seat is internal combustion power. Satan is my motor(scooter)"
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Not only are the voices in your head real...they're accurate too!
Old 27th April 2008
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Time to check for loose ground........... and dirty or faulty speed sensor down by starter and left of front drive pulley??

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??

Last edited by xllent01; 3rd May 2008 at 12:37..
Old 3rd May 2008

flskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to behold

Just to update...

After researching the problem I first cleaned the speed sensor to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't but before I replaced it I checked all my wires & connections.

Everything tested okay all my fuses were still good so I decided to get a new sensor. $55 later I installed the new sensor and the speedo is working again.

I think one of the causes for it's demise was using HD syn3 in the primary. Since the sensor works by being magnetic it had some metal flakes off the gears and messed it up over time.

After some more research I decided to switch to Mobil 1 syn 75/90 gear oil and see if it shifts and runs smoother.
Old 3rd May 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute

Speed Sensor
Old 3rd May 2008
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Those sensors are magnetic for a reason..........it was prolly on it's way out regaurdless of what oil you run....... those little parts do fail.....
even on a 8-9 yr old bike........... glad you fixed the problem!!
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd May 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBI
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Horse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to behold

I think running gear oil in your primary is a mistake. I'm not a big fan of most HD fluids, but their primary oil is pretty decent stuff.
Old 3rd May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
I think running gear oil in your primary is a mistake. I'm not a big fan of most HD fluids, but their primary oil is pretty decent stuff.

I have done a lot of research on this before I made my decision.

Besides how can it be a mistake to switch out oil that is made for the motor/primary for an extra high performance oil designed for a specific purpose?

My experience using HD sny 3 has not been too good. It was time to find something better.