The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Ironworks Magazine
Motor Stage
Zippers Performance
Fix My Hog

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Softail Deluxe
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 06
Other Motorcycle Model: V-Rod NR
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
pigdog has disabled reputation
Default 412 install help

I read the how-to above on installing shocks. I bought the 12" 412's for my 05 1200c. I dont have a stand, but I have a sisscors jack. I took off the left side shock, and cant seem to jack it up so the shock will line up. How the heck do I get it to line up? Do I need to get a stand and or remove both shocks?
Old 21st January 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R 'Ms Lily'
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Carl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the roughCarl-04XL is a jewel in the rough

Go to Northern, Sears or Pep Boys and get a atv/lawn tractor/motorcycle jack. I think Northern or Pep Boys are less expensive than Sears, but Sears has one that you can take the handle off for easier rightside access. Don't forget the tie-downs for security.

You will have to take both shocks off if the stockers are of different length than the 412's. You'll have to let the rear wheel lightly rest on the ground while you are lining up the mounting holes, or some way to raise/lower the wheel... A little 'finesse' is needed at times.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]