The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
CV Performance

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl883c
YeaItsSlo has disabled reputation
Default RB Vs Thunderheader vs D&D..

Ok so this is my last 2-1 header thread.. i swear.. Im going to go to a 2-1 Which one of these would be the best buy?? I dont mind waiting for a quality product (RB) but is it really worth it when i can get a D&D or Thunderheader on ebay and have it within a week??

Any performance differnces??
Old 28th April 2008
CANUKSTER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond repute

My RB's took "only" six weeks from date of delivery (I think they are getting better). The fit is PERFECT!!! And the sound is totally unbelievable - the posts on the Exhaust Sound Thread do not do it justice. Of course, take this with a grain of salt since I have not heard the D&D's in person. IMO, the RB's sound way better than the Thunderheader (and the TH's sound good!). My $0.02.
Lenster's 1250 2006 XL1250C, Hammer Crush Heads, 15 Degree Pistons, 10.5:1 CR, S&S Roller Rockers, Fixed Length Pushrods, Jim's Powerglide II Hydraulic Lifters, RedShift 585 Cams, Energy 1 Clutch w/ 15% Stronger Spring, Hammer Performance Billet Intake Manifold, Mikuni HSR 45, Offset Crush AC, RB Racing LSR 2:1 Exhaust and a Daytona Twin Tec TC88A with a Kickass Map by Rico 05R.

Old 29th April 2008
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=YeaItsSlo;1228970]Ok so this is my last 2-1 header thread.. i swear.. Im going to go to a 2-1 Which one of these would be the best buy?? I dont mind waiting for a quality product (RB) but is it really worth it when i can get a D&D or Thunderheader on ebay and have it within a week??

Yes!!!!!!
04/07 76"C NRHS #2 11:1 .590 cams TP rockers TC88A HSR-42 S&Sac LSR 2-1
Old 29th April 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

Just my opinion, but there are about 2 pipes I would consider if you want a 2-1 system.

And here they are:

RB Racing:

Or the 304 stainless SuperTrapp:

Be advised, this SuperTrapp is maufactured for the 03 and earlier mid-control bikes, but will require you to fab a bracket from the rear section of the pipe to the transmision sprocket cover ... but this is not a real big stumbling block in my opinion.

As for sound ... no other pipe has that "crackling" sound like the RB pipe .... Sorry, the "potato potato" sound will be a thing of the past ... Hope you are not too nostalgic about that sound!

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition

Last edited by Turbota; 29th April 2008 at 14:01..
Old 29th April 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

SuperTrapp 2-1 Exhaust System

V-Twin / Megaphone Series

4” External Tunable Disk System with Slip-On Muffler

Satin 304 Stainless

Fits 86-03 Sportster XL with mid controls (yes, it can be made to fit the the 04 and later Sportys with mid controls)

SuperTrapp P/N: 825-70883
Suggested Retail: $509.00
(these pipes are in the current SuperTrapp catalog)

However, this set of pipes can be purchased from Zanotti at a lower price:

Go to the Zanotti website below
Change the "Search For A Part" from "Harley" to "Aftermarket"
Type in the P/N: 4MSS-70883
Price is $ 428.28 + Shipping

https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php

EDIT: ..... These pipes do have lots of backpressure unless you add lots and lots of extra discs ... Recommend [at least] 15 or more ... 18 would be better

Last edited by Turbota; 29th April 2008 at 14:06..
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th April 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Other Motorcycle Year: 08
jimmyheadgear is on a distinguished roadjimmyheadgear is on a distinguished roadjimmyheadgear is on a distinguished roadjimmyheadgear is on a distinguished road

I've got to throw a vote in for D&D.

My FatCats sound awesome. If you wait a week, I'll be able to tell you about performance when my bike gets back form the dyno.

With D&D you also have the option for getting the performance baffle or the quiet baffle.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][COLOR=Black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jimmyheadgear/croppedDSC_2160.jpg[/IMG][SIZE=4][B]
It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful!
[/B][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 29th April 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Dyna Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Shamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished road

One more vote for the RB pipe. I'm sorry, but I can't stand the way the Thunderheader looks, though I'm sure it's a fine pipe. Don't know much about the D&D, though I don't like their look either

The LSR sound was once described as not so much Harley as open header NASCAR - and that's exactly how I would describe it. It has a slight ringing sound like open aluminium thin-wall pipe. I got my RB with the turnout angled down 45 degrees and I have only one word to describe it:

Awesome.
Old 29th April 2008
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Can I ask you why you want to go to a 2-1 pipe?

I have a Thunderheader on mine. It runs really well. It sounds incredible when you aer on the throttle and is quite docile when idling, just a deep thump thump tone. But when you open the throttle it just sounds nasty mean.

One of the best 2-1 performers is the White Brothers E series pipe. A while abck in the NRHS section they showed a D&D (I am pretty sure) and it showed dual torque peaks and didn't have the typical torque dip at 2500 rpms that nearly all 2-1 pipes have. I personally do not like 2-1 pipes that are upswept at the rear like the SuperTrapp, White Bros, D&D or RB Racing pipe, but only you can decide on the look you are after.

Back to the original question, why a 2-1? A good flowing set of slipons on the stock head pipes will outperform most 2-1 systems everywhere except maybe over 5000 rpms. Here is an excerpt from the Mikuni website about pipes that I think you should read before dropping upwards of $600.

Quote:
Exhaust system:

Straight pipes:

Open straight pipes perform poorly in the 2500 to 3800 rpm range. If they are 34" or longer, they do not perform really well at any rpm.

Symptoms include missing, backfiring through the carburetor, reversion (fuel dripping out of the air cleaner) and poor acceleration.

Open mufflers:

"Gutted" mufflers with stock (or stock-like) header pipes tend to perform poorly in the same rpm range as straight pipes and exhibit similar symptoms.

Long thin mufflers:

Long, small diameter mufflers with full-length baffles often exhibit the same symptoms as straight pipes, although their over-all performance may be better.

High performance 2-into-1 systems:

These systems are often poor performers in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range. Most 2-into-1 exhaust systems deliver a significant torque dip at 2500 which is slightly less than 60 mph in top gear for most stock Harley Big Twins.

Header pipe diameter:

The great majority of Harley engines, of any displacement, do their best work with 1-3/4" diameter exhaust pipes. Larger pipes tend to suppress mid-rpm performance and, for that matter, seldom deliver the best power at high rpm either.

Header pipe length:

The stock header pipe is about 30". Multiple tests, made by several groups, confirm this length as being very nearly the best for all-round performance. Shorter (less than 27") and longer (over 32") header pipes significantly reduce peak power, throttle response and over-all performance. An exception to this "rule" are a couple of the high performance 2-into-1 systems which work very well with longer (and un-even) header pipe lengths. Stock Harley header pipes are near-perfect in diameter and length.

Muffler size:

It is not possible to make a muffler quiet, small and powerful at the same time. One can choose power and small, quiet and small but not all three. The reason stock mufflers are poor performers is because they are small and quiet.

However, small and loud is not a guarantee of performance. In general, small mufflers with large straight-through, perforated tube baffles (looks like a tube with many holes drilled in it) make the most power and the most noise. An exception to this rule (there may be more) are the popular H-D Screamin' Eagle (and Cycle Shack) small slip-on mufflers which perform very well yet are not straight-through designs. The popular louvered core baffles restrict flow at full throttle & high rpm and reduce power a bit as a result.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 29th April 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl883c
YeaItsSlo has disabled reputation

performance.. Right now i have some beat up baffleless cycle shack slip on's... and need something new.. i figured it was worth it to spend the money on a good exhuast to help out all the motor work i have..

Last night i bit the RB bullet.. 6 - 8 weeks.. I wonder how long it will really take..
Old 29th April 2008
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaItsSlo View Post
performance.. Right now i have some beat up baffleless cycle shack slip on's... and need something new.. i figured it was worth it to spend the money on a good exhuast to help out all the motor work i have..

Last night i bit the RB bullet.. 6 - 8 weeks.. I wonder how long it will really take..
Congrats, that's a good pipe.
How long will it take to deliver? Well if history repeats itself, you ought to have it for your winter riding pleasures J/K I think you will like the pipe.
Know Thy Hog