The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
gp9739 (70), danbango (67), andyman1958 (56), 55 Jr (53), Love2FixIt (45), keywan (43), C Dubya (40), CA71xlch (39)
Licks Holiday
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Figure Machine

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2008
Master Mechanic

simonster123 is on a distinguished roadsimonster123 is on a distinguished road
Default Dellorto SSI - anyone run one?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with running a large-bore Dellorto SSI? I see pics of them on sportster choppers from the early to mid-60s in the old mags, but rarely hear of them now.
Old 4th May 2008
Master Mechanic

No luck? If you look at the bike in the "stroker kits for every occasion" article by Tony Murphy in the old Motorcycle Sport Quarterly you can see the carb I mean...(it's the bike with a "Sta-Lube" decal on the tank).

Last edited by simonster123; 4th May 2008 at 21:35.. Reason: add
Old 4th May 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Hi Simon,

Yes, we see them a lot also on old dragsters... I've never ran one, they're too expensive and I believe, harder to tune than say Mikunis!!!

Patrick
Old 4th May 2008
Custom Bike Builder

thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Not a Dellorto in sight here but the grin says it all!!!

Same site as above...

http://www.hotrodsbikeworks.com/even...way/index.html

I was trawling for more Dellorto photos, I know there's a photo somewhere of Mor-Xpence that ran 2 of them, but can I find it??????????? Actually, the 1st photo might well be a later incarnation of Mor-Xpence...

Patrick

... Found it on my computer, still with original tag so it should show... The page on the site has gone...

Good manip, it works!!! Looks indeed like the same motor, 1964 and 1970 versions...
Old 5th May 2008
Custom Bike Builder

... And just for the pleasure, Leo Payne in control

Patrick
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th May 2008
Master Mechanic

Great pics Patrick, thanks!

I now have a 35mm SSI that was originally on a stroked and ported sportster, which I am considering using on the 63. From what I've heard so far, the problems came when trying to fit the larger sizes (40, 42) - I have been told that the 35mm will be better for the sportster engine.

As you say they are pricey, so it may go to fund the build but I would like to try it. They look amazing, and I suppose so many drag racers must have seen some merit in it...

What year was the first S&S L carb developed with Leo Payne released? I wonder if this was the hottest option they had before this carb.

FWIW my bike came with 2 carbs; one a modified DC12, the other a modified Tillotson - it's interesting to see how the bike must have been developed.
Old 5th May 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Hi Simon,

Yes, anything more than 38mm is too much on any stock Sportster...

S&S started making carbs in 1967, the so called "early style" which is really a big DC, one size only, 1" 7/8, but 2 versions, gas and fuel. They are marked as such, G or F, and had no choke arrangement.

Then came the 1" 3/4 for the street, so bigger one was stamped A, smaller one B, so GA, FA or GB, FB. Bolt on choke added if needed.

In 72 came the L series (for Late), still float chamber on the side, hence GAL, FAL etc... then in 77 the M, so, MGAL etc...

Mine's a MGAL, I moded it for methanol, took a long time to sort...

The Super, float underneath, came in 75 and the twin throat in 81.

Patrick