The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Figure Machine
Lowbrow Customs
Ironworks Magazine

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC Custom 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Lone Wolf in Canada is on a distinguished roadLone Wolf in Canada is on a distinguished roadLone Wolf in Canada is on a distinguished road
Default This is why it sounds like potato potato

The way I understand it, the V twin Harley engine's twin pistons move up and down at the same time, as they are connected to a single crankpin on the twin flywheels, but only 1 piston fires at a time. I realize this gives the classic "potatoe potatoe potatoe" sound loved by most.They have "knife and fork" connection piston rods... what does this knife and fork mean?
Does it not lose power with one piston firing forcing both pistons down?
Why have two pistons if they alternate firing?
Old 30th January 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Forty Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
dmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of lightdmraco is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf in Canada
The way I understand it, the V twin Harley engine's twin pistons move up and down at the same time, as they are connected to a single crankpin on the twin flywheels, but only 1 piston fires at a time. I realize this gives the classic "potatoe potatoe potatoe" sound loved by most.They have "knife and fork" connection piston rods... what does this knife and fork mean?
Does it not lose power with one piston firing forcing both pistons down?
Why have two pistons if they alternate firing?
Not sure this it true. The pistons move up and down opposite of each other, that is why the motor shakes. If they moved up and down at the same time, the motor would "hop." I do beleive what you are referring to is most HD motors will fire the plugs on the exhaust stroke as well as the power stroke. The newer motors are single fire for the most part??? Correct?? Can someone who really knows what they are talking about chime in??
Old 30th January 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Randum77 is an unknown quantity at this point

To be correct, both the pistons don't go up at the same time. As the previous poster said, it would hop rather then vibrate. Now, there are 4cycles that a piston goes through and only one of them is a combustion stroke. 1. intake 2. compress, 3. combustion 4. exaust. 2 of which are upstrokes, 1. compression and 4 exaust, and 2 of which are down strokes: 1. intake, 3. Combustion.

Both pistons alternate in the combustion stoke inorder to create a consistent powerband. I could explain more, but I don't have the time. I am sure a more techincal person will kick and and straighten things out. Also, feel free to correct me if I am wrong w/ something.
Old 30th January 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about

Techi person, here I go...

The pistons move sort of together, they are actually 45* apart on a common crank pin. What was said is true, they alternate which piston is firing. So while on piston fires and forces both down, the other has the intake valve open and is drawing in fuel (4 strokes...Down(intake), up(compression), down(ignition), up(exhaust).

What makes the "patato patato" sound is that the engine is "odd-fire", in that the spacing between the firing is not equal. You get cylinder 1 to fire, the crank turns 315*, then cylinder 2 fires, but the crank has to turn another 405* for cylinder 1 to fire again. This is due to the 45* piston angle and the common crank pin. This means that there's almost a 30% difference in the amount of time it take for each cylinder to fire from the other cylinder firing.

I wish I could find this animation of the whole thing happening - it's be much easier to understand when you see it.

Try this:

Hope that helps.

Last edited by xl1200r; 30th January 2006 at 16:53..
Old 30th January 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
ed_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to behold

Here's the animation:

http://www.sa750.com/vtwin/vtwin.htm
Well ... that explains a lot.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th January 2006

xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about

That's the one...there's a lot of good info on that site too.
Old 30th January 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Y2K has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Lone Wolf in Canada]They have "knife and fork" connection piston rods... what does this knife and fork mean?
QUOTE]

To add to what has been posted, the knife & fork means that one rod has a slot that the other rod fits into like sticking a knife between the tines of a fork.
both rods and connected together to a single crankpin.
Old 30th January 2006

Quote:
To add to what has been posted, the knife & fork means that one rod has a slot that the other rod fits into like sticking a knife between the tines of a fork.
both rods and connected together to a single crankpin.
This makes it so both pistons can be right in line, rather than being offset.
Old 31st January 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

nzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the roughnzsailor is a jewel in the rough

my daughter had a two cylinder fiat bambina 500cc car
both pistons go up n down together so that you get power 360 degrees apart which makes sense for the power band
once it was running even at idle it was quite smooth
but the way the back end of that little car bounced up n down when the starter was cranking over was absolutely lewd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 31st January 2006

"a couple octaves lower" was the main point. All engines sound like crap with no exhaust on them - it's just the nature of it. Even my racecar with a 400 small block, all juiced up sounds like ass with just manifolds on it (can't run headers in my class).

There are some bad sounding big engines out there, just as there some really good sounding small engines.

Quote:
my daughter had a two cylinder fiat bambina 500cc car
both pistons go up n down together so that you get power 360 degrees apart which makes sense for the power band
once it was running even at idle it was quite smooth
but the way the back end of that little car bounced up n down when the starter was cranking over was absolutely lewd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for the 360* crank thing, this would be the same setup the triumph twins use. I'm not sure why your fiat didn't hop around when running, but I understand those triumphs have a little shake to them since both cylinders are moving up and down together, even thou they are on different strokes.

As for the powerband thing, on paper the 360* firing order makes sense, but from what I've read it's not the case. According to that link, the 45* Single pin V-Twin makes the most "real" power per "rated"power. The scentence in the link is worded poorly, but what it's getting at is that a 45* V-twin that makes 70hp has more "actual" power than a 360* parrallel twin making the same 70hp. I don't know the science behind this, just relaying some info I came accross.
Know Thy Hog