The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Ironworks Magazine
Fix My Hog
Licks Holiday
Motor Stage

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Shovelhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
Zip is an unknown quantity at this point

It was interesting reading all the replies of mixed knowledge...

Under Carburetor Environment:

Dual Fire Ignition = Potato - Potato - Potato

Single Fire Ignition = Spud - Spud - Spud
Old 12th October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
twolazy is on a distinguished roadtwolazy is on a distinguished roadtwolazy is on a distinguished roadtwolazy is on a distinguished road

First let me say that I love threads such as this -

Those old british bikes, Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons, Matchless, Royal Enfield etc used what we used to call "virtical twins" (500, 650, 750 and 850 displacements). While each cylinder had its own crank throw, it was a 360 degree crank, that is both pistons hit top dead center at the same time although each was on a different part of the cycle, i.e. one pistion was on the intake stroke, the other would be on the power stroke. This smoothed things up somewhat, moreso than the V-Twin, but the british vertical twins could still give you a fair amount of vibration.

Someone had mentioned timing being something of a bear on the radial engines, you might wanna take a look at the Bugatti W-16 engine, you talk about some engineering, the guys at VW must have been on a high when they came up with the W configuration.
Old 12th October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Diz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the roughDiz is a jewel in the rough

The radial engine chopper made me wonder if anyone had ever built a sideways mounted wankel powered bike?

Old 10th November 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
boog is an unknown quantity at this point

quick note, both pistons on a triumph move together but fire opposite each other there is minimal vibration because the pistons are counter-balanced by the flywheel to about 80 percent. this does however give a slight rocking motion front to back . harleys are tits but trumpets are the whole body
Old 17th February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Captn Tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trumpet v Hog

BOOG you have an iron butt or a unique trumpet. I rode triumph trophy and bonnys since '70, finally went hog in '96. My last Bonny was a '78, new ones have a different bottom end; but the old ones had no center bearing in the crank. So at high performance levels, the crank actually FLEXED and the vibration was ridiculous. Still, it was a great bike - best handling and most versatile I ever enjoyed.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th March 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
fordman1920032003 is an unknown quantity at this point

i love the way my 05 sounds, main reason i bought it. it makes a pretty good chick magnet too.
Old 29th March 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 48 - 2 weeks to delivery!
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Mr.Mow has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
yes the used materials are also inherent to the sound of an engine.
perhaps a real guitar freak will explain this..
Oh dear god.. you really want to get into this?!!!!

Maple (eastern, rock?) vs ash (asian, swamp?) vs mahogany (honduran, african?), rosewood (indian, brazilian, african)...

hahaha..
Old 4th December 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
ferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the roughferris oxhide is a jewel in the rough

This may or may not have any bearing on the potato potato sound...

I've had my ironhead for many years and over time have run different exhaust (always separate pipes, no crossover or 2 into 1), different carbs, mufflers, cams, magnetos and heads and have noticed, and wondered about, that the exhaust pulse from the front cylinder always seems stronger and steadier.

It's crossed my mind recently that when the rear cylinder fires and its piston starts its downward stroke it accelerates the flywheels and the front piston upwards over the last 45 degrees of its exhaust stroke; in other words some energy from the rear cylinder goes into "power assisting" the front cylinder's exhaust stroke.

On the other hand, when the rear cylinder begins its exhaust stroke, the front cylinder still has 45 degrees of its intake stroke to complete; no "power assist" available for the rear cylinder's exhaust.

After the first 45 degrees of the rear cylinder's exhaust stroke the front piston begins moving up on its compression stroke, and when the valves close the flywheel is putting energy into two kinds of pumping actions and must be slowing down. The fluctuation in crank speed would be more noticeable at idle, maybe helping exaggerate the uneven firing pattern.

I guess what I'm saying is the sound is more PUHtato PUHtato ("PUH" being the front cylinder exhaust event) and that emphasis adds to the sense of uneven cadence.

Whadya think, am I nuts or is this possible?