The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Licks Holiday
Speedway Instruments
Foxcreek Leather

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
liddown is on a distinguished roadliddown is on a distinguished roadliddown is on a distinguished roadliddown is on a distinguished road
Default 07 Throttle cable adjustment

No matter how many times I have read the procedure, the service manual makes no sense to me..... I swapped out the throttle cables on my 07 1200N while putting a set of Mini Apes on, and the service manual states to turn the throttle fully counter clockwise and adjust the throttle pull cable till the cam hits the stop... Well the cam is not gonna hit the stop no matter what you do if the throttle is held wide open, as the stop is where the idle position is... So any of you smart guys with the 07 manual tried to use this procedure? I ended up adjusting the cables so that everything works freely and without binding.... I also think the naming of the cables is also backwards in the illustrations... Maybe it was just the long ass winter here in Minnesota and I have lost all ability to reason or follow directions, maybe my wife can weigh in on that....
Old 11th May 2008
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Not a smart guy...but I have an 07 manual.

I've adjusted my throttle cables several times and never gotten the book out to do it. Out of curiosity, I just read the section you referenced. I think they do mislead you a bit and they absolutely have Fig 1-67 completely wrong.

The cam really has two stops, one at WOT and one at idle. The picture with the numbers only has the idle stop labeled. But, I think their overall idea is correct. Make sure that you can get the cam to go to WOT, and make sure it can freely return to idle with no binding.

Cantolina has posted a few times a fairly clear way of adjusting these (for carbs, but really a throttle cable is a throttle cable). I'll see if I can find one of those posts.

Old 11th May 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Weezel is on a distinguished roadWeezel is on a distinguished roadWeezel is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna stay tuned to this post... I just put new cables on too for the same reason. No problem adjusting but i was a little puzzled with the numbering of the cables in the manual. I also think it is backwards. maybe someone can confirm the location of the cables.
Thanks

W
Old 11th May 2008
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

I like Chris Hajer's post on adjusting the throttle cables, explains 'why', as well as 'how to'. Here it is. That's aimed at carb bikes, but I imagine it transalates.

Basically you adjust the throttle cable so that the throttle just fully opens, then take the slack out with the idle cable. It's a bit difficult to get your head around, but it makes a bit more sense when you realise that there's no fixed 'off' or 'closed' position for the throttle grip. The position gets set by adjusting the idle cable.
'The green machine'
Old 12th May 2008
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC Softail Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
747 FlightEngineer is on a distinguished road747 FlightEngineer is on a distinguished road

I too will stay tuned to this thread. I'm waiting for the cables to arrive to start installation.

Old 12th May 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

I haven't read the 07 procedure, though I did have to adjust the throttle cables as soon as we got our 07 home (since there like an inch of freeplay at the grip).

I consulted the Carb manual for our 04 as a quick reference and then went by feel.

Basically you need to end up so that the throttle doesn't bind, and it moves smoothly to the stops at BOTH ends (as Dan mentioned, there's a WOT stop as well as an idle stop).

You can manually open the throttle at the throttle body, and take most of the play out of the pull cable.

Then take most of the play out of the idle cable.

Basically futzing with it to make sure that the throttle opens fully and closes fully with the grip.

I haven't read Chris' write up yet, but from Folkie's description I'd like it, and the theory should work fine for EFI bikes too...

Kev
Old 13th May 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Wouldn't that be nice!
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki TS125
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
MacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really nice

Send in the card in the back of the manual and tell them.
Old 13th May 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC 100th
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 50 XL 762/2000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 07
Coasty is on a distinguished roadCoasty is on a distinguished road

When I took my 50XL in for 500 mile service HD gave me a call to come in. The mechanic is a good friend and wanted to show me the cable could not be adjusted. He showed me it was too short called the factory provided the measurement and it was short. The next day had the new cable and all was well.

It may be the cable wrong from the factory.

Coasty