The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
Bison Motorsports
DK Customs

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Spanky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arlen Ness v. Progressive

Has anyone tried the Arlen Ness front fork lowering kit? I am not sure I understand how it is supposed to work and I want to be sure I understand what I will be attempting.

My goal is to lower th front end 2" to come a bit closer to the back which I lowered nearly 3 inches. I have seen the Progressive kit and I get the idea of changing the springs.

Keep in mind cost is a factor for me right now.

Arlen Ness kit is about 50 dollars on eBay while the Progressive kit is 80 to 90.

Anyone care to help push me to one product or the other?

Thanks!

'04 883 - T-bars (4" rise/8" rake), black strut covers, black lower legs, progressive 412 rear shocks (black), Smoked turnsignal covers, black levers, black mirrors... anybody noticing a trend here?
Old 11th May 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Progressive stuff is first class...

Never heard of a Ness FRONT lowering kit for a sporty. Got a pic???

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 12th May 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
PaulDM has disabled reputation

Ness's stuff in my experience sucks!
2007 XL 883 - 1/4 Harley Fairing - ISO grips and pegs - Mustang Vintage wide - Adjure Reflector & PIAA bulb - 50 State Mufflers - ABS front fender - Tail pack for stuff - HyperPro progressive fork springs - Whittlebeast rear shocks = Rocky Mountain Sport Tourer :-)
Old 12th May 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

Ness is selling cheap junk made in China, you do get what you pay for. However I bought my progressive springs and shocks from Wallys cycle world. I paid sixty some dollars for the springs his shipping is a little slow but got a deal.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil