The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
CV Performance
Figure Machine
NHRS Performance

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
Other Motorcycle Model: Parts of few
Other Motorcycle Year: old
maximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nice
Default front end wide glide conv wobble need advice

wide glide and 16 wheel are on the bike try it this morning and bike feel weird.
Wobble from one side to the other very baddly. (not rideble)
any suggestions., did anybody experienced this after such convertions?
Old 18th May 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

Did you make sure the headset is tight. I had mine loose once and wobbled so bad I almost hit the center guardrail at 100+ mph. Sounds like it is flopping around. Is the wheel spaced properly or is it drifting from side to side on the axle.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 18th May 2008

maximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nice

I'll check all this but I can't go 100mph like this it is not safe at all around 10mph, bike go from left to right. also, the stem feel really stiff in the neck it doesn't rotate right.
Old 18th May 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

Hi.

As Ralph said, check the head to make double sure it is adjusted correctly.
Also make sure the bike is aligned.
Is this on the 2006 1200R you have?

If so, this can open a whole new can of worms.
Touting models have been having Issues with the Engine/Frame causing a wobble, the true-trak is a device that holds the engine in Parallel with the frame to correct this.
I have never had this Issue with my tour bikes, some feel this comes from loose/worn engine mounts, some feel it is the swing arm bushings.

There's a couple things to look at.
Old 18th May 2008
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Check the I.D of your wheel bearings, prolly running the wrong bearings for your axle size

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post
Hi.

As Ralph said, check the head to make double sure it is adjusted correctly.
Also make sure the bike is aligned.
Is this on the 2006 1200R you have?

If so, this can open a whole new can of worms.
Touting models have been having Issues with the Engine/Frame causing a wobble, the true-trak is a device that holds the engine in Parallel with the frame to correct this.
I have never had this Issue with my tour bikes, some feel this comes from loose/worn engine mounts, some feel it is the swing arm bushings.

There's a couple things to look at.
yes it is on my 06 1200r I'll check head and alignment it is probably not the swing arm or engine mount as they were no probleme to report before we swap the front end.
Old 18th May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post
Check the I.D of your wheel bearings, prolly running the wrong bearings for your axle size
Size should be good as we mounted a flh front wheel from the 90s to a 3/4 axle, but the wheel was used and so where the bearings so that might need help.