The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
Energy One Clutches
Bison Motorsports
Superbrace.com
RYCA Motors

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
mvhgraphics is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Running Lean/Pipes blueing

I've just picked up a 07 Nightster with 800 miles on her. and I've noticed the exhaust header is blueing under the heat shields (not bad but around the cylinder heads)

1. Will i be doing any damage to engine till I make my first service?
2. Is this because the previous owner had Screaming Eagle slip-ons installed?
3. Will this be adjusted and corrected when I take her in for Service?

All help and Info appreciated.

MVH
Old 20th May 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Honda CBR 929RR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
blakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura about

They'll adjust it if it needs it but some blue on the pipes around the exhaust port is normal. It's just because it gets so hot and the factory sets them lean to begin with. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 20th May 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak View Post
They'll adjust it if it needs it but some blue on the pipes around the exhaust port is normal. It's just because it gets so hot and the factory sets them lean to begin with. I wouldn't worry about it.
Agreed ! Its about how it runs and did you check your plugs !
Old 20th May 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
jrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nice

Most all pipes are going to blue with some mileage... especially if the bikes a bit on the lean order... My old drags were somewhat blue & its ran great since I got it.

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Old 20th May 2008
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

All chrome pipes will blue or golden. Nothing to worry about based solely on the pipes. You can do slipons on the EFI bikes without changing the EFI provided you leave the A/C enclosed. If you do open the A/C then chances are good you will need to get the EFI reprogrammed or buy an aftermarket fuel program.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th May 2008
Biker

Thanks!

This is my first Harley, I had an 86 Virago 1100 and had to have the nightster as soon as I saw one. The ride and power is a totally different experience here and I love it. I love the the sound and feeling of those 1200cc's rumbling.

I'm hoping the SE slip-ons won't effect my warranty, being that I'm bringing in a pre-owned HD for first service.

Any thoughts?

MVH
Old 20th May 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
All chrome pipes will blue or golden. Nothing to worry about based solely on the pipes.
BINGO that's one of the reasons those CHROMED heat shields are there in the first place.

here's the first day I rode my new Breva, maybe there were 100 or 200 miles on by the time I took this pic - if you look closely you can already see the pipe turning colors just in front of the cylinder head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvhgraphics View Post
I'm hoping the SE slip-ons won't effect my warranty, being that I'm bringing in a pre-owned HD for first service.

Any thoughts?
Not in the slightest

1. Google "Magnusun-Moss Warranty Act"

and

2. Harley sells the SE slip-ons for these models and SAYS they don't require any recalibration of the ECM when used alone (i.e. without a low restriction air cleaner).
Old 20th May 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Honda CBR 929RR
blakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura aboutblakjak has a spectacular aura about

OMG - Kev, get that hideous thing outta here!!!
Old 20th May 2008
Biker

Why do they tune them lean? That means it's running hot right? and the bike is air cooled... This doesn't make sense to me. I had these issues with my Virago, I didn't expect to have this issue with EFI. I just don't want to do any damage.

Thanks!

MVH
Old 20th May 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvhgraphics View Post
Why do they tune them lean? That means it's running hot right? and the bike is air cooled... This doesn't make sense to me. I had these issues with my Virago, I didn't expect to have this issue with EFI. I just don't want to do any damage.

Thanks!

MVH
I think it's probably to help them meet EPA Emission standards.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Know Thy Hog