The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Zanzibar, stvmike (60), Leroywulf (56), Erik (53), SoCal Harley (48), drew96 (36), Reverend_d (34)
DK Customs
Superbrace.com
Fix My Hog
Superbrace.com

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2008
Biker

CHOPPERSANDFORDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 77 motor in 71 frame and another question

i have a 71 that the generator locked up and busted my case well i showed a pic of it and its not worth getting fixed i just got a 77 1000cc engine and bolted it in now i need to know if the primary from the 71 will work on the 77 not the cover the internal parts the chain atc please let me know thanks
Old 20th May 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

I've checked the parts books,

Everything internal is the same, except obviously shift lever, its shaft and the chain tensionner assembly.

Patrick
Old 21st May 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

77 has no spring-loaded compensating sprocket on the engine mainshaft. You would have to check if the 71 sprocket fits and lines up with the clutch ok if it has the earlier type compensating spring set up.

Still, sounds mucho easier than welding the generator drive housing back on.
Old 21st May 2008
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default What are you going to do about the VIN?

Your existing title, and in turn, your registration, will no longer be valid since it doesn't match the numbers on your motor.