The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Get Lowered
883 Sportster
Biltwell
DK Customs

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2006
Biker

Cooper has disabled reputation
Default 2006 Exhaust Changes

Did the Moco do something different to the exhaust of the 06 Sportsters? I noticed in the catalog that the mufflers are listed as having a converter.(?)Would this change sound/power issues? Just curious.
Old 13th February 2006
Greasemonkey

hymie has disabled reputation

i believe the california+international models have cat cons for 06,not the rest.yet..
Old 13th February 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rayzer has disabled reputation

One of the biggest changes in the UK is that you cannot get Screamin Eagle mufflers/exhausts at all through the Harley dealers not even the Harley scripted street legal mufflers p/n 80415-04 (if I remember correctly). The dealers are now fitting aftermarket pipes - typically Vance and Hines - to all new bikes if customers want to upgrade from stock pipes.
Old 13th February 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Other Motorcycle Model: FLHXI Street Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
smoke has disabled reputation

My '06 had a cat. conv. in the front muffler. I found this out when attempting gronk's muffler mod. So, finding that, paying taxes just happened a little quicker.
Old 17th February 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Kajun is an unknown quantity at this point

How am I supposed to know if my 06 has a cat converter? I'm wanting to do the baffle mod, but how will I tell if I just want to punch the baffles?

Old 17th February 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki DL1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
rider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the roughrider1951 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun
How am I supposed to know if my 06 has a cat converter? I'm wanting to do the baffle mod, but how will I tell if I just want to punch the baffles?
Have you asked the dealer? I'd start there.
Impact Blue 1200 Custom, Gronk's mod stock exhaust, Ram-Flo 400, 45 slow, N65 needle, 175 main, HD detachable windshield and rear rack/ back rest, lay-down license plate, Mustang wide vintage, Progressive 13 1/2" 418s and Progressive fork springs w/ Belray oil, Superbrace,
Old 17th February 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

RedRider has disabled reputation

The muffler will have "catalyst" printed on it somewhere on the side.
Old 17th February 2006
Greasemonkey

OK, well I had already punched the baffles. I did notice that the last "plate" on the front pipe's baffle was a lot tougher to penetrate. In fact, I know I didn't go all the way through it. What damage might this cause to the engine or anything else? I'm hoping to get new pipes eventually, but I might have to wait a while. Sooooooo, how bad did I screw up?
Old 17th February 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
opiewontaylor has disabled reputation

Drilling through a cat won't harm the motor. But it will likely ruin any chance that your exhaust emissions will meet EPA standards, present and future. (but screw the EPA, they wouldn't approve of my 2 inch drag pipes either)
Old 17th February 2006
Greasemonkey

Is the cat welded to the muffler on the end that meets the header pipe, or is it connected to the baffle itself and deep inside the slip-on? I figure that since I've already punched the baffles, I might as well just try gronk's mod, or maybe even experiment with taking the baffles out completely just for the heck of it. Will the cat come out fairly easy or is it in there for good to where I'd have to drill it out little by little. I'd take a look at it but I'll be at work all day...

I plan on getting another set of stock 06 slip-ons with the cat eventually so I can get back to EPA approval when necessary, so I'd like to finish opening these stockers up since I've already gone past the point of no return...
Know Thy Hog