The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Organize a Ride-out or find a riding buddy
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Organize a Ride-out or find a riding buddy Here is where you can organize your local ride-outs or search for a new riding buddy.

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Biltwell
Dead Creek Cycles
Superbrace.com
Foxcreek Leather

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2006
Be annoyed Now;Ask Me How

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
flskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to behold
Default Veteran visit @ Walter Reed Medical Center

I was talking to a Iraq vet the other day and he told me that visits were the most appreciated part of being there.

If there are any XLF members interested in meeting up and riding to visit vets there let me know.

I am going to contact the medical center staff and find out the rules and if there are any items we can bring as gifts for the vets. (what is most needed/wanted)

I'm always trying to figure out a way I can make a difference and I think this is a good one. I'm going to try and make this a regular event.

BTW- Walter Reed Medical Center is located in Washington D.C.

If other members want to organize rides in from other areas like Maryland or Pennsylvania join in.

here's a link for those interested...

Walter Reed Medical Center

Last edited by flskevin; 19th February 2006 at 16:19..
Old 19th February 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FXB Sturgis
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
klinesamuel is on a distinguished roadklinesamuel is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, I used to be one of the soldiers spending time in that hospital. I can tell you from experience that the only thing keeping some of these guys alive is from the generosity of strangers that come to visit.
Items to bring can be anything that will break up the boredom. Magazines , games, phone cards.
Sam
Old 20th February 2006

flskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info....I want to do something that can help. But I like doing it person rather than just sending a donation.
Old 20th February 2006
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin I think this is a great idea and am making this thread a sticky.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Old 21st February 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Kevin,
Hey even if it is just the two of us I say we go do it. I live in York which is not too far away.
Sam
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st February 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Dyna Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Shamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished road

How about around Rolling Thunder time?
Old 22nd February 2006

I'm sure during Rolling Thunder weekend lots of the veterans visit there, it would be a great time to have a visit since I'll be in town. I plan on doing these visits several times a year.
Old 1st March 2006

Default Info update....

Here are the rules for visiting the vets....

You can visit Monday - Friday / Noon to 4pm

**Believe it or not, there are so many visits that you have make an appointment when you are coming by and the earliest days available are in April 2006.

**5 people or less per group (if more than 5 people want to join in we will need to make appointments for more than 1 group)

**no one under 18 allowed, no food as gifts, no cameras allowed inside.

**patients do decide whether they want to receive visitors or not.

The date for the first trip is not decided....So I guess the first 4 to post they want to go will be added to my group.

Klinesamuel wants to be a part of this so a group from his area would be great. Send him a pm.
Old 2nd March 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Yeah, what he said.
Sam
Old 3rd March 2006

I am going to set a tentative date for Wednesday, April 19th. Since the weekdays are the only days non-related civilians can visit I thought hump day would be the best time. (any suggestions for the day put them in soon)

If the weather turns south then it will be a drive up for me. It would be great to be able to ride up but the vets are whats important and once the date is set that is that. Ridin' in he rain wouldn't bother me as much as being soaking wet in a hospital.

List of riders as of now:

flskevin (me)
Klinesamuel

Hey sam, if it's just you & I on this ride we can meet up somewhere and ride there.
Know Thy Hog