The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
DK Customs
S&S Cycle
Get Lowered
BIKE BUILDER

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2008
Biker

mrjonjon77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wide/Mid Glide...Why?

Want to do a new front end on my Nightster to compliment the 250 rear I'm putting on it. What are the advantages/disadvantages of mid/wide glide front ends versus stock? Also, where is the best place to buy them?

Thanks!
Old 29th June 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

I'm gonna run midglides trees so I can run a wider front tire...not re sure about any other pros or cons.
I plan on getting mine through hawg halters they have a great rep and an outstanding product.

In a world of deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of revolt.
Old 29th June 2008
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

The wider the distance between the forks, the more flexing that it will allow and the worse it will be at handling.

Since you're putting a 250 on the rear, I guess you don't care about turning, so GO with the wide glide.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 29th June 2008
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
The wider the distance between the forks, the more flexing that it will allow and the worse it will be at handling.

Since you're putting a 250 on the rear, I guess you don't care about turning, so GO with the wide glide.
True to a point........ but not always the exception to the rule without first riding one first based on pure speculation.........

Sportbikes for example run 200 mm tires all day long, and NO they don't run narrow glides either.........all goes back to the bikes rake and trail

Quote:
mrjonjon77
Want to do a new front end on my Nightster to compliment the 250 rear I'm putting on it. What are the advantages/disadvantages of mid/wide glide front ends versus stock? Also, where is the best place to buy them?

Thanks!
If your putting on a 250 tire on don't worry what the nay sayers say.........You obvisiouly know what you want.........without beating that dead horse!!

I've run a HawgHalters or HHI 3* Mid-glide conversion well past 100 mph with no issues at all for the last 3.5 yrs........ The 3* just makes it turn heavier during slow turns in like parking lots, but once up to speed all feels normal and handles the same.......

I ride the Dragons Tail twice a year the ultimate test of a bikes handling, with no issues's and still can throw the bike around like a Hot Wheels toy.....

The Mid- Glide best compliments the peanut tank on the sporty without overpowering the whole look of the bike, biggest reason why i choose it, but both are great looks regaurdless. It just comes down to preference, and what you like!!

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??
Old 29th June 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883 low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 2001 Fat Boy
skien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud ofskien has much to be proud of

Just put on the HHI mid glide 3 degrees on mine this year. I went with the mid for the same reason on the small tank size I think it looks better. As far as handling I have no problems at all even at the higher speeds.
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th June 2008
~~RIP Johnny G~~

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Paulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nice

I am still trying to come up with a good mid glide and larger front tire setup.

I love the larger front tires on sportys... but I didn't hear that a mid glide effects handling negatively. If thats so I may rethink my idea...

2005 Sportster 1200 Custom
Vance & Hines Sideshots, Screamin Eagle A/C, Detachable Sissy Bar, LayDown Brake Light, Smoked Lenses, SaddleBags, And an Attitude to Boot

Old 29th June 2008
Devoted Life Behind Barz

xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie420 View Post
I am still trying to come up with a good mid glide and larger front tire setup.

I love the larger front tires on sportys... but I didn't hear that a mid glide effects handling negatively. If thats so I may rethink my idea...
Why wait.............The world is your oyster................. bike look familiar??

Enjoy ......
16” Black Front Exile Cycles wheel
Bobber Black Blue Dot HeadLight
Springs by Progressive Fork oil just changed
Speedo relocated and 883 gas tank, custom Gas Cap
Z Z Z Bars, Custom Mirrors, Risers, N Old School grips
AC Screaming Eagle N Paughco Pipes
Created as a 883 now all grown up to a 1200
Corbin Solo and 2 people Seats
Black Pegs and Controls
1" or 2" Lowering kit with RK Air shocks
160 Rear N 130 Front NEW Tires
Black Matching Rear wheel
Rear Fender Bobbed, Side Plate with 40’s Tail Light
Some added Stock an Extra Parts

Old 29th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

I have had both a mid and a wide and both were nice but the mid looks better on the sporty. I think if their is a handling difference, you would never notice and a good fork brace would negate any additional flex. Few people ever reach a riding style that takes the suspension to the raged edge.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 29th June 2008
~~RIP Johnny G~~

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Paulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nicePaulie420 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post
Why wait.............The world is your oyster................. bike look familiar??
If I remember right, isn't that a narrow glide front end? That he shaved the sides off with a file to fit that tyre???

Thats the EXACT look I wanna go for tho!!!

Love it.
Old 29th June 2008
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie420 View Post
If I remember right, isn't that a narrow glide front end? That he shaved the sides off with a file to fit that tyre???

Thats the EXACT look I wanna go for tho!!!

Love it.
According to Craiglist ad it was SOLD back in april 08...........i wonder whats up, and hope it's not true???

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/647737052.html
Know Thy Hog