The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
Figure Machine
Hammer Performance
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2004
Flat Track Racer

SoCal-Cruisin has disabled reputation
Default Polish Painted Surfaces?

Guys,

my sporty's paint has some minor swirls and scuffs in the paint on the tank. Of course it is black so everything is magnified. What can I use to polish it up a bit? I use some real fine rubbing polish (liquid form) and hand polish my truck from time to time to get rid of scratches in the clearcoat. I don't need anything that intense for the sporty. I've got some Macguire's scratch and swirl remover. Will that do the trick. I've heard that motorcycle paint is not as durable as car paint jobs but the clearcoat on my bike looks more than heavy. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
W.
- SE Dynojet Kit
- Flanders Dyna Bars & Other Chrome Stuff
Old 20th November 2004
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH -(Hugger)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL (STD)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
bigdogbark has disabled reputation

I use Meguiar's clear coat paste because I am cheap. You can also get some good stuff from S100 but it co$t.
Old 20th November 2004
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
collinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura aboutcollinsb has a spectacular aura about

Socal,
I had a similar issue on an older bike. I took it to a large professional body shop and asked for advice. They told me to use a "final finish" machine rubbing compound, but advised to only do it by hand. They advised to use a soft cotton applicator. Also never let the compound dry out but keep your work damp and slippery. He recommended a light back and forth action as opposed to swirling. The swirling you see could have been caused by someone wiping a dust cloth over a dry finish or just bad wiping habits and towels filled with dirt or dust. Waxing in the sun on a hot finish can cause grief. Shallow swirling can be removed, but realize you are cutting down into the clearcoat to smooth it out. Do several light applications to a fender first, checking the results. You will get the feel for it. Again - keep you r work damp - back and forth motion. Once you are satisfied, give it a wax job!
A washed and waxed black bike is beautiful, but it is unforgiving if a wax job goes bad. I hand rubbed mine and it turned out very nicely.
Billy
Yo momma!

Last edited by collinsb; 20th November 2004 at 04:22..
Old 20th November 2004
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
Broncodog is on a distinguished roadBroncodog is on a distinguished road

Meguiar's has good products. Just keep your rag clean
Orange County Chapter
Old 22nd November 2004
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Vincent
Other Motorcycle Year: 1951
whiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just used 'T-cut' to polish up the clear coat. Works well. Do keep the clean, cotton lint free rag damp....spit is good here if the rag gets dry. Spit and polish! Polish off with a soft rag that is clean too. I suggest you follow the advise above and keep the rubbing linear, not swirly, Follow the t-cut with a good polish to keep the finish once achieved.

Whiffy
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd November 2004
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Darhawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Cloth baby diapers work best for polishing. Generally I use Maguiars but I also have been very happy with the HD products. Whatever, be very careful. The HD paint finish is not as durable as it should be.
Old 23rd November 2004
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
Broncodog is on a distinguished roadBroncodog is on a distinguished road

Darhawk your right about the diapers and the brown wax takes out the swirls
Old 23rd November 2004
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TiBaal89 is on a distinguished roadTiBaal89 is on a distinguished roadTiBaal89 is on a distinguished road

For some reason when I read the title of this thread in the forum I thought it was about painted surfaces from Poland. *smack* time for me to go to bed

[I][COLOR=Navy]Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down... [/COLOR][/I]

[B]'04 1250C[/B] :D

[url=http://tibaal89.com]check out my BLOG thing...[/url]
Old 23rd November 2004
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200R (totalled
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
PlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant future

You must be getting a brain freeze from all that other studying you're doing over there, TiBaal89!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/planb4/newport-1-1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]