The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Bison Motorsports
Energy One Clutches
BIKE BUILDER
CV Performance

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 72'
motomotard is on a distinguished roadmotomotard is on a distinguished roadmotomotard is on a distinguished road
Default what kind of gas mileage do you get?

just curious as to what kind of gas mileage you guys are getting. im gonna run a small wassel tank and i assume im gonna have to get somthing larger for longer trips. wassel probably only holds a gallon and a half or so.

and anybody know how to tell if valves have been swapped for unleaded gas? what do i have to do to check?
Old 4th June 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: custom xlch 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
ridged warren is an unknown quantity at this point

bout 25-30 miles a gallon, not real sure thou i had a 2+ gallon sportster tank, rode 60 miles to work and would run out close to my job. i had to switch to a king sportster tank to make longer trips.
Old 4th June 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Shovelhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
tat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura about

same here i have a peanut tank and have to fill up quite often
probally 25-30 mpg

SOLD for 76 shovelhead and $5000
Old 4th June 2008
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I get between 12 and 15 miles per liter depending on air temperature and riding speed. That's a bit more than 50 miles per USA gallon.
Old 4th June 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: custom xlch 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
ridged warren is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
I get between 12 and 15 miles per liter depending on air temperature and riding speed. That's a bit more than 50 miles per USA gallon.
50 mpg wtf , you got a hydrogen generator on your bike? damn i wish i could see 50 with mine, hell i'd be happy with 40
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th June 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
SLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enough
Default Sure beats my '99 Ram............

I just started riding mine every nice day to work. 54 miles-round trip.

I switched to a 2.2 Sporty tank recently and thought I would check my MPG.

Stopped at a gas station on the return trip yesterday and filled up, took the exact same route today stopping at the same station to top off again.

54 miles @ 1.28 gal. = 42.1875 miles to the gallon. It can probably do better, providing I quit gooseing it to hear the pipes bellow...LOL.
Old 4th June 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

I get between 40 45 Miles to a gal depending on driving conditions as well
Old 4th June 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
teledude66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a buddy who has a low rider that says he gets 50 mpg, with a 1340. My bro in law had a 1200 and when we rode it was always around the 60 mile mark when I would have to stop I run the stock 81 tank, the next 60 he would fill up. I got a Paughco 4.2 gallon that I'm painting and it stretches out the mileage, but the sporty tank looks so much better.
Old 4th June 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumphs
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
Campsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the rough

I get 40-45 MPG with an old Bendix... the Super B got a little less... CV Carb is next... I have heard they get the best gas mileage.

Jim
Old 4th June 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Yeah, the CVs get the best mileage. With the DC Linkerts, I get about forty. With CV a little better than fifty, but that bike's a lot lighter, too. Don't know about the Tillotsen yet.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Know Thy Hog