The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
Burly
Get Lowered
RYCA Motors
Figure Machine

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2006
Biker

72nova72 has disabled reputation
Default Is this a clutch or an adjustment problem?

Hey everyone. I hope someone can help me out.

I have a 1979 sporster xl. I'm having a very hard time squeezing the clutch lever in to disengage the clutch. Even with the lever pulled all the way in. The clutch is pulling. Meaning I have to hold the brake in first gear at a light or the bike will keep going. I bought a new clutch cable but that didn't fix it. Any suggestions? I was thinking the clutch might be worn out. If so, Does any know how to make a home-made clutch removal tool and clutch basket holder tool. Thanks
Old 5th March 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

I have 72 XLCH and the clutch rod adjustment under the left side cover should be checked. I would also check the primary fluid. Hopefully, you are running sport trans or some other compatable fluid. A bad clutch plates usually calsue slipping not drag.

SEMJPM
Old 5th March 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

i this were a car ide say pressure plate spring broke off and jammed under diaphragm or clutch fork is bent.
for whatever reason your clutch is not fully disengaging
Old 5th March 2006
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: CX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
a45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nice

if the adjusting procedures check out i would have to say probably a warped disk
progressive suspension
Old 5th March 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by a45junkie
if the adjusting procedures check out i would have to say probably a warped disk
i would agree with warped disc dragging except that he says squeezing clutch is difficult.
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th March 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRCI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
BobbyB has disabled reputation

Is the lever pull harder than it was before or are you new to ironheads. If you're used to metric bikes then the pull may be ok. When installing the new cable, slack the cable first. Then set clutch adjustment, then set cable adjustment.
Bobby
Old 6th March 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 86 883/1250
MOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enough

I found that adjustng the clutch is the most frustrating thing you can do on a sporty. You go an 8th of a turn past the correct setting in the primary cover you are going to have drag or an 8th a turn off in the other direction you are going to have slippage. I spent hours the other day F ing with the adjustments.
Old 6th March 2006
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: CX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
a45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerdrinker
i would agree with warped disc dragging except that he says squeezing clutch is difficult.
mebbe his basket is notched that could cause all of the above
Old 6th March 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 86 883/1250
MOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enough

Whats a notched basket?
Old 6th March 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
cutter has disabled reputation

My guess would be a bad cable and an adjustment is needed. I had that on a 77 sportster I had, and a new cable fixed it right up after it broke.
Know Thy Hog