The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
go2fast (61), SixMilesFromHell (56), thespis (56), julian (52), chopperdave (50), shawn4057 (42), KC_Sporty_Gal (40), david04883 (32)
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
CV Performance
Motor Stage

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG (Dyna Wide Glide)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
dave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura about
Default hard to get to neutral

All of a sudden, it is very difficult to get into neutral. By that, I mean that I normally can gently pull up on the shifter (from first) and hit neutral. But now, I pull harder and harder until it finally shifts through neutral into second. Similar situation from second to neutral. Some factoids:

2004 1200 Custom, 42,000 miles
Clutch is properly adjusted
Primary oil is fresh and at the proper level
Warm engine or cold engine - same problem
Engine running or stopped - same problem
Shifting up or down (into an actual gear) works just fine
Clutch cable is lubricated and operates smoothly

I haven't checked the primary chain adjustment yet, but I seriously doubt that this could be the problem. There is no chain slap or whine, and it shifts just fine.

I feel a slight forward surge when I shift from neutral to first, which makes me think that the clutch is not completely releasing. This might be normal, though . . . I don't remember.

Is it possible that something is worn in the clutch that might be causing this? Any ideas?
"Lilybeth"
Old 9th June 2008
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Deimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to all

You will find interesting information in the following two threads:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=168162

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=227842
Old 9th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

dave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura aboutdave has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus View Post
Thank you. Based on this info, I will take it apart and see what's going on in there...
Old 12th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

After doing some reading here, I discovered that I need a clutch spring compressor tool. Ugh. So I ordered one from J&P Cycles, and ordered a spring plate from Zanotti's (since there is a fair chance that is the problem).

My problem is a bit different, I think. With the bike in 1st gear and the clutch fully disengaged, the bike noticably wants to move. It's not enough to stall the bike though. Plus it is hard to get into neutral...
Old 12th June 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
My problem is a bit different, I think. With the bike in 1st gear and the clutch fully disengaged, the bike noticably wants to move. It's not enough to stall the bike though. Plus it is hard to get into neutral...
Then the clutch isn't fully disengaging either because of adjustment or some other problem (as you said you believe the clutch to be properly adjusted).
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Then the clutch isn't fully disengaging either because of adjustment or some other problem (as you said you believe the clutch to be properly adjusted).
Exactly. And that is probably why it is hard to find neutral. And yes, I believe the clutch to be properly adjusted. I have done this procedure every 5,000 miles, and I understand it well. So I conclude that something is awry in the clutch itself (that will hopefully be obvious when I get it all apart).
Old 12th June 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
So I conclude that something is awry in the clutch itself (that will hopefully be obvious when I get it all apart).
YUP, sounds like it...