The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Fix My Hog
Lowbrow Customs
Figure Machine
Progressive Suspension

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2004
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: zx-10R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
wickedsprint has disabled reputation
Default stupid mistake...

we all make bonehead moves...here was mine today. I had the carb apart and was looking for the brass plug to access the idle screw...thought I saw it on the side (other bike carb has an adjustment on the side) so I was figuring this was it. I drille ditout...no dice..just a hole that leads somewhere in the carb. Found another brass plug that fits very tightly, but is not as robust as the factory one. The harley dealer was clueless since it does not come up on the parts list...it is roughly 9mm in diameter. Any idea where I can source a spare in case this one gets blown out? It is the brass plug that is facing the back of the bike when the carb is installed. Ended up drilling out the correct one on the bottom.
Old 19th November 2004
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

G'day sounds like ya stuffed ya carb.

WHat I think you've drilled out is one of the passage blocks.....in order to get the fuel passages in the carby they are often drilled from the outside and then blocked off.

You may have to machine a new plug up
Old 19th November 2004
Senior Chief Know It All

I think you're right..I got it plugged up nicely, but I would rather use the harder metal harley part, does mikuni make our carbs or HD?
Old 19th November 2004
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

I did the same mistake. I ended up get what was left of the plug and filling it with jb weld. When it hardened I grinded it down till it looked nice and smooth and stuck it back in. Worked gets.
Old 19th November 2004
Senior Chief Know It All

That's not a bad idea, thanks
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th November 2004
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

SO glad I'm not the only idiot....

I stopped midway thru drilling, realizing what I was doing....

THEN I drilled out the RIGHT one....lol

That was about 6 mos ago....it seems ok still...

Good luck!

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 19th November 2004
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
AZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished road

wickedsprint,

Our carbs are made by Keihin. Stock ones can be had on Ebay pretty cheap. Hope you can get yours fixed!