The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Biltwell
Fix My Hog
Biltwell
Licks Cycles

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
supr2nr is on a distinguished roadsupr2nr is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb How to Install Cam Gears in your IronHead

I just got done doing this. Here's some pictures I took for another member at another forum. I hope this helps.

1. Get the lifters out of the way. Here's how I do it.

2. Start with the pinion gear in around this position.

3. CAM 1

4. CAM 2

5. CAM 3

6. CAM 4

7. All done.

Now some of the CAMS may not look like the marks line up, but you have to get down right at the cams and look at them dead on, but you will see they do.
Old 13th June 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1974 ironhead
rayzer13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn your camra shure takes better pics than mine does.
Question? the hole in the oil pumpgear liniing up on the notch in my calmners book it has two pics one with it lined up and one with out it lined up on my bike when I'm at top dead center with the timing mark lined up my oil hole aint lined up but with one full revelution and the rear jug at tdc it is. I went with it any ways and I do have oil pressure but just wondered about this difference . Ray
Old 13th June 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1974 ironhead
rayzer13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Question? the hole in the oil pumpgear liniing up on the notch in my calmners book it has two pics one with it lined up and one with out it lined up on my bike when I'm at top dead center with the timing mark lined up my oil hole aint lined up but with one full revelution and the rear jug at tdc it is. I went with it any ways and I do have oil pressure but just wondered about this difference . Ray
Old 13th June 2008
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzer13 View Post
I wondered the same thing when I pulled mine off and saw that. But if you rotate your flywheel one full rotation again the breather valve will be in perfect alignment.

Here's why:
Your breather tower is EXACTLY 180 degrees out, it is actually timed right because there are 2 breather slots in it, hence you do another engine revolution and the dot will be in the middle of the body slot, having traveled 180 degrees as it's on a 1/2 ratio same as the cams.
Old 13th June 2008
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzer13 View Post
I wondered the same thing when I pulled mine off and saw that. But if you rotate your flywheel one full rotation again the breather valve will be in perfect alignment.

Here's why:
Your breather tower is EXACTLY 180 degrees out, it is actually timed right because there are 2 breather slots in it, hence you do another engine revolution and the dot will be in the middle of the body slot, having traveled 180 degrees as it's on a 1/2 ratio same as the cams.
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th June 2008
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny37 View Post
Randy, your screen is upside down.
Yah I know. I realized that after I had taken the pictures but not before the cam cover was back on. The screen is installed correctly just not updated right in the pictures.
Old 13th June 2008
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny37 View Post
Randy, your screen is upside down.
Yah I know. I realized that after I had taken the pictures but not before the cam cover was back on. The screen is installed correctly just not updated right in the pictures.
Old 14th June 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Spree
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Shadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enough

I'm glad they made this a sticky

Chris
Old 14th June 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: had an IRONHEAD XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Irondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of light

I made that last pic the wallpaper on my computer
Old 10th July 2008
Flat Track Racer

Other Motorcycle Model: 62 FL panhead
73Ironheadrider is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
I'm glad they made this a sticky

Chris
Your not the only one. I just removed my valve train from the heads down last night as I found the front exhaust was almost 180* off the mark. Those pic's and the pushrod adjustment sticky will help get the black widow fired up. Now I know why the motor would roll over when I tried to get the line in the window.

If I could ever find the rock that put that cam in off the mark .
Know Thy Hog