The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
NRHS Performance Long 2
RYCA Motors
Hammer Performance
Hammer Performance

Energy One Clutches
Tags
carb, cv carb, fuel

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
NC_REDNECK_1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help me figure this out please

im new to this forum so dont bash me to hard please. i have 1988 1200 sportster with a stock engine. i bought this bike a cpl months ago and it already had drag pipes on it and averaged about 80 miles to the tank(2.2). well i installed a se air cleaner with a k&n filter and installed 45/175 jets as i was told by the stealership. the bike runs great but ionly get about 45 miles out of the tank. can anyone help me out and tell me what is wrong?
Old 13th June 2008
The crazy one...

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

look around at other 1200's. that mileage is about par with that setup...

It is now "later" than it has ever been!
Old 13th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
look around at other 1200's. that mileage is about par with that setup...
He said 45 miles to the tank not per gallon. That mileage is much too low. Check your plugs to see if your running overly rich. Also double check to see if your leaking any gas from your petcock or gas lines. Are you losing gas after shutting the bike down thru the overflow?

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
58mm Inverted Wide Glide Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Six Piston Jaybrake Calipers
16" Carlini Apes
Old 13th June 2008
Know It All

i used to see gas dripping a little bit when i first started the bike but that doesnt happen anymore. the other night i accidentally left the petcock on all night and i didnt see any gas on the ground the next morning. if its running that rich wouldnt i see black smoke out of the pipes? i have no knowledge of a cv carb at all. i can work on cars but ive never worked on a motorcycle.
Old 13th June 2008
Know It All

if imy plugs say its to rich how do i lean it down? with the factory jets and the se ac and pipes it was way to lean. the plugs were bone white and wouldnt take any throttle
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th June 2008
The crazy one...

wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
He said 45 miles to the tank not per gallon. That mileage is much too low. Check your plugs to see if your running overly rich. Also double check to see if your leaking any gas from your petcock or gas lines. Are you losing gas after shutting the bike down thru the overflow?
OMG how did I overlook that? Yes, 20 mpg is a little to low! If the gas isn't dripping out, make sure your float is OK and not "running" into the engine. Plug check also.
Old 13th June 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 94 HP XL1200C sold :(
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yamaha Raider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
Terp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to behold

Is someone stealing your gas?

**RIP MR. JIMI & JOHNNY G**
Old 13th June 2008
The crazy one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_REDNECK_1981 View Post
if imy plugs say its to rich how do i lean it down? with the factory jets and the se ac and pipes it was way to lean. the plugs were bone white and wouldnt take any throttle
Are these new plugs?
Old 13th June 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_REDNECK_1981 View Post
im new to this forum so dont bash me to hard please. i have 1988 1200 sportster with a stock engine. i bought this bike a cpl months ago and it already had drag pipes on it and averaged about 80 miles to the tank(2.2). well i installed a se air cleaner with a k&n filter and installed 45/175 jets as i was told by the stealership. the bike runs great but ionly get about 45 miles out of the tank. can anyone help me out and tell me what is wrong?
So you're saying you're only getting about 23 mpg? If that's the case something is very wrong.

I guess you know it won't run very well at low speeds with open drag pipes. That's probably not your problem though. 88 model 1200s came with 200 main jets from the factory. The stock CV carb didn't have an accelerator pump. I hope it doesn't still have the stock rubber intake manifold. If so it's worn out.

My bike, also an 88 model, got well over 50 mpg set up like your bike except with stock headers and SE mufflers.

Tell me more about your bike.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 13th June 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 70
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Softail Springer
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
SpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum...

Go back to the original components one at a time...find out which change affected the mileage. It seems almost unrealistic to cut your mileage in half.

Sam
Know Thy Hog