The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Get Lowered
Licks Holiday
Motor Stage
Biltwell

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
robert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura about
Default Hard saddlebags

I'm looking at the hard leather bags Harley makes for the Sportster, but they only make them for the newer bikes. Does anyone know what it would take to put them on a '03? I can't find any info on how far apart the mounting holes are or what kind of bracket they use, and don't want to buy them until I'm sure I can make them fit.
Old 16th March 2006
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: gone
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
olderthandirt is on a distinguished roadolderthandirt is on a distinguished roadolderthandirt is on a distinguished roadolderthandirt is on a distinguished road

they will fit. I had them on an 02 and on and 04 with no changes both were 1200C

Did you know most liberals were streakers during their college years? Everyone could see they're nuts.
Old 16th March 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1200RT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
cadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enough

Another option is Boss Bags. They are awesome! I bought a pair for my Dyna, and I love them! They make these for all Sportsters. Check them out at www.Bossbags.com
Old 17th March 2006
US NAVY Vet, ADR2

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Other Motorcycle Model: FXD SuperGlide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
FSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the rough

Went on the Bossbag web site. Says #27 fits Sportsters '94 to present. I think there's an error on the price though. Says prices start at $7200. Nice bags though, may be full of 20 dollar bills.

US NAVY Vet, ADR2
Old 17th March 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
darth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to behold

Olderthandirt is correct. I have those bags on my 2004, and just for fun I tried putting them on my wife's 2000. The dimensions are all the same.

My Gallery

Ol' Wrench Head of the White Werewolfes MC
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th March 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

robert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura aboutrobert has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys. Now I gotta save up for 'em. Darth, nice bike. I like the way the bags look on there. My Tourmasters get all funky and soft in the sun and then stay that way when they cool off. Plus, they're not really lockable. Thanks again. Oh, will I have trouble with my detachable backrest set-up?
Old 17th March 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
darth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to beholddarth is a splendid one to behold

Shouldn't have any problems with the detachables. The only issue might be the actual bolt length, but that's a minor issue.
Old 17th March 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Robert are you set on leather bags only, I'll just mention my thread in the Luggage and Seats section for LeatherLyke, hard, locking, waterproof plastic with some of the looks of leather. And a little more than half the price of Boss and less than half the price of HD.
Old 17th March 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Kev, I checked out the bags on your bike. They look real good. Thank you, it's something to consider.
Old 17th March 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert
Kev, I checked out the bags on your bike. They look real good. Thank you, it's something to consider.

Glad you like, just giving you more options.

No matter what you decide, I love the functionality of bags.

Being able to take anything from lunch to work or a gym bag or to stop at the beer or liquor store on the way home.

Heck, I needed a dowel for the Gronk mod and wound up riding home with a 4' dowel bungeed to the back.

Function rocks.

Kev
Know Thy Hog