The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Foxcreek Leather
Fix My Hog
Bison Motorsports
Energy One Clutches

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2008
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FXR
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Mattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of light
Default Conversion w/ N4's is noisy

Now I've heard the SE bolt in cams are a bit more clattery, but this sounds like piston valve contact here. What I have is .020" over Wiseco 10:1 conversion pistons, SE .497" cams, stock 883 heads with an NRHS competition valve job, and a 1200 ignition module. As soon as I fired her up I got some clatter, which could be mistaken for piston/valve contact. When I put it together after I waited for the lifters to bleed down I spun the motor and had no contact. Also, when I did a conversion before with the same stuff I used JE pistons and there was plenty of clearance, so I didn't check this time.

My question is: has any of the forum heard of my combo having problems with valves hitting the piston? I used stock HD gaskets in case this matters. I know they're thicker than the Cometic gaskets.

Thanks
Old 15th June 2008
Bike Builder

Mattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of lightMattbastard is a glorious beacon of light

False alarm folks, nothing to see here!!

It was pinging. I had the timing too far advanced for the new CR. I just backed the plate off a bit and fired it back up and the "knocking" is gone.

Boy them cams is rattly though.
Old 15th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

I switched from n8'2 to SE536 this year and I was quite surprised at how quiet the higher lift cams are. I suspect the ramp design has something to do with it. I can do without the clackity clack of hed noise.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 15th June 2008
Bike Builder

You still on the fence about selling me those N8's?
Old 15th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

They are long gone, I think you are talking about the SE536. I won't convert to turbo till fall. I am not sure how that is gonna go so most likely they will go in a box for a while till I am sure the motor is not going to grenade or warse, not start.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th June 2008
Bike Builder

If I were you I'd go back to stock cams with a turbo. Forced induction loves no overlap cams.
Old 16th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

That is the plan. I just happen to have my original cams on the table.
Old 16th June 2008
Bike Builder

Soooo........

whatcha doin' with the 536's?
Old 16th June 2008
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
Soooo........

whatcha doin' with the 536's?
I think he has a waiting list for them already

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 16th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

They will be waiting in a box till I know the turbo is on for good. That may be never. In the same box will be my dyna 2Ki, supertrapp, S&S super E, and more.

Last edited by rottenralph; 16th June 2008 at 00:58..
Know Thy Hog