The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Sky Smith Insurance
Motor Stage
Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Crash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enough
Default How I Got That Scar...

I told everyone in the Intro Forum that I would tell the story of my crash and post a few pics. SO here goes...

It was the first nice day of the Year, March 25th, 2003 and the temp was in the 70's! I got the bike out and had already done a Pre-season inspection. It was the weekend so I took my daughter, who was ten at the time, we "geared up" and lit out. We road all day, stopping for lunch and just having a good time. At around dinner I called the wife and told her to bring my other daughter and meet up at a restaurant near our home. We had a great meal, but I had to take off back home to try and get some shut eye before working another midnite shift. The rest of the family wasn't done eating, so I told them to just follow when the y finished. I made it about a mile down the road, when a guy in an 88 Chevy Caprice wagon, heading the opposite direction, decided his need to make a left turn was more important than my need to continue living. He made his turn, and for a brief second, his monster car and my little Sporty tried to occupy the same little piece of real estate. Well you all know how that ended right? My left leg got crushed in between the bike and the bumper of his car, and was pretty cut most of the way off. I was lifeflighted to a top trauma center and kept in the ICU for 2 wks. Now, 3 yrs and 8 or 9 surgeries later, including a titamium tibia, 2 plates at my ankle and 1 on the outside of my foot, a muscle transplant, and 2 skin graft, Frankenfoot and I can almost walk without a limp. Of course it hurts most every day, and SOME days it damn near KILLS me, but... it' still attached.
By the way, his excuse? He didnt SEE me. Said my lights weren't on. I tried telling them that you CAN'T turn the lights off on a 98 Sporty, Hell I even had running lights! But...
Anyway, that's what happened. I didn't get a new bike until last fall, when I just got that NEED. You know? SO I bought a VERY gently used 04 1200 XL, and my daughters can't WAIT to ride!
The picture attached is pretty greusome. You've been warned. I'll post some of the bike, etc. from home later.

Last edited by Crash03; 2nd May 2006 at 10:19..
Old 21st March 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing the story. Glad you're still around to tell it! Good on ya for getting back in the saddle.

So whatever happened to the dumbass driver?

Incidentally, for those who may not know, a quick visual hot-shock check of a light will tell you instantly if the light was on at the time of the crash. It will leave burn marks inside the glass and have a melted filament. Investigators should be able to find enough of the debris to make an assessment.
Old 21st March 2006
The XL Forum Host

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 Stage 2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
bplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant futurebplinson has a brilliant future

Glad you made it through and still have your leg. My brother-in-law was not as lucky when a a car decided to make a left hand turn out of a parking lot. He lost his leg but is still living.

You are a strong man for getting back on the bike.

I have moved this to the Safety catagorie where it will be searchable and will not get lost in all the off topic.

XLF on FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/XLFORUM

AMA #961454
MY GALLERY

02 883 > NRHS 1250 Stage 2 - Nasty Nancy
Old 21st March 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
whispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura about

Welcome back to 2 wheels man.

I have the thoughts of what can happen everytime I ride. For some reason it doesnt stop me but it does make me more aware.

Adios
Old 21st March 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 custom
Crash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enoughCrash03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTWA
Thanks for sharing the story. Glad you're still around to tell it! Good on ya for getting back in the saddle..
Same here! Wasn't sure I WOULD ever ride again...

Quote:
So whatever happened to the dumbass driver?.
Other than needing clean drawers? Nothing. It was a very low speed crash, so he wasn't hurt. And after he told the officer he didn't think I had my lights on (remember, there IS no "off" switch on a 98 Sporty, only "high" and "low" beam), they decided the crash was "mostly" my fault! And I was in no condition to fight about it.

Quote:
Incidentally, for those who may not know, a quick visual hot-shock check of a light will tell you instantly if the light was on at the time of the crash. It will leave burn marks inside the glass and have a melted filament. Investigators should be able to find enough of the debris to make an assessment.
Well it CAN do that, but it won't always, especially in a low impact crash where the light doesn't "pop". The investigating officer's bright idea was to turn the key, then flick the "on/off" switch. When the headlight didn't come on he determined that the other driver was right. I didn't have strength enough to point out that half the lighting system was under the front wheels of the car, and therefore there probably wasn't a complete circuit anywhere!
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st March 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash03
Well it CAN do that, but it won't always, especially in a low impact crash where the light doesn't "pop".

Yep, very true. Sucks you got the injuries and the bad rap outa the deal. Man, that kind of stuff pisses me off for sure.
Old 21st March 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: BMW R1200RT
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Blast (Purple) P3
DustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enough

Really glad your daughter wasn't on the bike.
Glad you are still with us.
Old 21st March 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Elecectra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Chuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Crash, I don't get it. If he made a left in front of you, what's the headlight have to do with not citing him. If it was night out then there should be a way to tell if your lights were in working order. I think it sucks. We all make mistakes but most of us pay for them. Of course if he has some morals, I am sure he lives with that accidents memories from time time.
Glad your back at it, man.
Old 21st March 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200r
Jt1200r has disabled reputation

glad youre ok . i t-boned a car instead of the car hitting me
Old 21st March 2006

Sportster Girl has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash03
they decided the crash was "mostly" my fault! And I was in no condition to fight about it.
Wow. Really can't see how they could think it was your fault.....but sometimes the authorities use that fuzzy logic.

Very glad you came out of it ok, and thanks for sharing your story. We all need to keep ourselves at DEFCON 2.
Know Thy Hog