The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
sportxlh, willprevale (73), eagle (68), Willard (66), arby (63), XLC Curt (61), Boricuaurfer64 (50), zook1065 (47), Foxdud (46), stg (45), skeeter_xb (43), mountainman
Figure Machine
883 Sportster
Motor Stage
Burly

RYCA Motors
Tags
efi

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road
Default Sunday June 29th

5 mile test ride I noticed the shifter shaft seal trying to pop itself out of the primary cover, back to the garage. Clean all the oil off the seal and cover, still can’t get it to stay. Off to the auto part place for a tube of contact cement and an o-ring (5/8 OD x ½” ID x 1/8” thick) to put some extra pressure on the seal from the outside. The extra o-ring is next to the shifter peg.

50 mile test ride.

I really like the way the bike runs now. Smoother, albeit higher idle. Much smoother throttle response and the power just feels better all around. I’m really diggin the SuperTrapp 2x2s. As per their recommendation, I went with 12 disk per pipe to keep the noise down. I’m not sure if the previous owner ever had a stage 1 programming job done to the ECM, but I have to say so far I have not noticed any bad traits with the SE A/C and ‘Trapps. I also like the fact that the exhaust is now behind my head, compared to my Screaming Eagle (the loud ones) slip-ons. At highway speeds, wind noise is louder than the exhaust.

Lesson Learned:
  • Having a great running bike makes all the hard work and frustration worth it.
  • Never start an 8 day project 4 days before a road trip

Continued:

[URL="http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=254258"]'06 Sportster 1200C w '07 EFI Conversion[/URL], SuperTrapp 2:2 exhaust and SE A/C

[URL="http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=1494819#post1494819"]Click here for a review[/URL] of my $30 LoJack and GPS tracking powered by [URL="http://www.instamapper.com"]InstaMapper.com[/URL]

[inwindow=350]www.instamapper.com/ext?key=1009428850281076753&width=500&height=300&zoom=13&units=imperial&coords=d[/inwindow]

Last edited by 4-pac; 30th June 2008 at 21:10..
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road

EFI Conversion Shopping list:
  • EFI intake complete with electronics
  • Main harness and harness caddies
  • Instrument harness (must end with a “-07” don't belive the parts catalog on this one)
  • 07 handlebar switch housings, left has clutch switch and both sides have different connectors than previous years
  • 07 throttle cables (longer than my carbed Custom)
  • ECM preferably with a matched TSM/TSSM/HFSS and fobs/antenna if necessary
  • Stator
  • Primary cover gasket set
  • Voltage regulator
  • Coil and mount
  • EFI Heads and temp sensor
  • Gaskets to match year model heads and rocker boxes
  • EFI tank and rear fender
  • EFI pump and ECM mount tray
  • EFI exhaust & O2 sensors
  • EFI air cleaner, carb version will have a gap
  • 14mm x 10mm x 2mm o-ring for tank fitting just incase

Special Tools:
  • 4” door hinge for primary drive disassembly
  • 1-1/8” socket for crank nut
  • 1-3/16” for clutch nut
  • 250 ft-lb torque wrench
  • ½” sensor socket
  • O2 sensor socket
if I think of anything else I'll update

Other things I forgot:
  • '07+ clutch lever (for clutch interlock switch)
  • '07 plug wires
  • You might consider an '07 Speedo too. Mine works but the diag test does not understand the ECM. And compared to a GPS, the speedo is registering 3 MPH fast. 70 on the speedo shows 67 on the GPS (I should put more faith in the government than HD, right? ). I haven't got the tank low enough to see if the fuel light comes on. Let you know in about another 50 miles...

Last edited by 4-pac; 1st July 2008 at 00:18.. Reason: Add more stuff
Old 30th June 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

As a automotive tech, I will get customers from time to time who either have found a nice car that they want changed over to a manual Tran, or, they have found a really clean 2x4 truck that they want to know how much to make it a 4x4.

Unless you do a couple of these, you really do not know just how expensive it really is to do something like that, as a rule, it cost twice as much to do as it would if you bought it as a 4x4 or manual.
Old 30th June 2008
Ride free, RubyRed

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 > SE 1200
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
wandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant future

Right on, man! Great write-up, and great results! Kudos to you.

2006 1200 Low--NRHS HurricaneFlow 2", slash down Screamin' Eagle Street Performance exhaust, Progressive 12" 418s w/ heavy duty springs, Progressive fork springs + Ricor Intiminators, HD forward controls, Mustang Vintage Wide seat, HD QD windshield (smoked), HD mini-apes, and surely more to come... Sold

1999 1200 XLH--In progress. Custom Led Sled frame--4" up, 2" out; Baker/Vulcan chain conversion; Buell 17" rear wheel...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=708796 Currently on indefinite hold...
Old 30th June 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Congrats on your conversion. Great details on the project. Seems like a lot of work. How much did it cost? I agree it's harder to work with a hangover than to work drunk.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th June 2008

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-pac View Post
EFI Conversion Shopping list:
  • EFI intake complete with electronics
  • Main harness
  • Instrument harness (must end with a “-07”)
  • 07 hand controls, left has clutch switch and both sides have different connectors than previous years
  • 07 throttle cables (longer than my carbed Custom)
  • ECM preferably with a matched TSM/TSSM/HFSS and fobs/antenna if necessary
  • Stator
  • Primary cover gasket set
  • Voltage regulator
  • Coil and mount
  • EFI Heads and temp sensor
  • Gaskets to match year model heads and rocker boxes
  • EFI tank and rear fender
  • EFI pump and ECM mount tray
  • EFI exhaust & O2 sensors
  • EFI air cleaner, carb version will have a gap
  • 14mm x 10mm x 2mm o-ring for tank fitting just incase

Special Tools:
  • 4” door hinge for primary drive disassembly
  • 1-1/8” socket for crank nut
  • 1-3/16” for clutch nut
  • 250 ft-lb torque wrench
  • ½” sensor socket
  • O2 sensor socket
if I think of anything else I'll update
I gotta ask, how much did this project run ya?
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

I appreciate the compliments guys. A lot of work, maybe for some. But for me, it’s a hobby. I’m a “builder” by nature. I grew up around sprint car and GT1 racing. Hot rods in my early years. Other hobbies include model R/C airplanes (park fliers to 150cc powered 1/3 scale aerobats) and DIY CNC systems. And professionally, I work in the IT field managing network support and build software code. Yep, I love to build things. It keeps my mind and hands working. And it provides me great satisfaction when it’s all said and done. Then I’m off to my next project…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post
as a rule, it cost twice as much to do as it would if you bought it...
Funny you say that. I worked in the speed shop business for 7 years and that's close to what I'd tell my customers: It'll cost you twice as much and take you twice as long than your original estimate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I gotta ask, how much did this project run ya?
Cost grouped by purchases:

EFI intake complete with electronics
Main harness
07 throttle cables
Voltage regulator
Coil and mount
EFI tank and rear fender (plus another front fender)
EFI pump and ECM mount tray
O2 Sensors
TSM Module
$550.00 ebay

07 hand controls, left has clutch switch and both sides have different connectors than previous years
$66.99 pr. ebay

'07 hand levers
$33.90

Stator
$19.98 ebay

ECM preferably with a matched TSM/TSSM/HFSS and fobs/antenna if necessary
$250.00 hdforum

EFI Heads and temp sensor
EFI air cleaner, carb version will have a gap
Primary cover gasket set
Head Gaskets
$824.50 ebay

EFI exhaust (complete Nightster set)
$40.50 ebay

Instrument harness (must end with a “-07”)
$65.01 Zanotti’s

Gaskets to match rocker boxes
$21.81 local dealer

14mm x 10mm x 2mm o-ring for tank fitting
$0.99

TOTAL
$1873.68

A couple of things to note:
I spent another $26.00 to get the instrument harness straightened out…
The ECM purchase came with another main wiring harness, HFSS (but no fob or antenna), fuel pump, and complete intake manifold with electronics
The Screaming Eagle 1200cc Conversion kit has a set of jugs and pistons that are sitting on the shelf
I included the cost of the Nightster exhaust, because at bare minimum, that is what it would have cost me for the conversion.

At this point, I have no intentions of selling off my original ’06 parts.
But as far as the spare EFI parts, there’s a little money that can be made back.

Last edited by 4-pac; 1st July 2008 at 01:08.. Reason: 'cause my spelling sucks
Old 30th June 2008

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

So about $2k and a bit of time finding the stuff - You'd BETTER like to thiker with that ROI

Good job though...

Kev
Old 30th June 2008
Know It All

Thanks Kev!

I have found it's a lot better ROI than my 1/3 aerobats. A 150cc DA engine (16 sweet HP) cost $1500 alone. Another $2500+ in airframe and electronics. And to have that baby burn herself into the runway and self destruct cause some jacka$$ qued up his radio on my frequency That's about the time I decided to switch hobbies.

For me it's more than the ride. I think my next project will be a Redneck Mutant...
Old 30th June 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
pquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant future

Great write up. You're a nutty dude though...not that there's anything wrong with that .