The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
prbetts (67), 1988XL (63), jbcant (62), gearman (59), rejeanprimeau, Hdrider8831200 (53), AOW (46), adair727, Mechano (42), 64physhy (42), Buckshot (40)
Licks Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
CV Performance

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Randum77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Low / High Beam - The last of my problems to clear up

Ok, Like i've said in other posts, my bike was all electrically messed up when i bought it. The onlything that worked was the High beam, and the bike would turn on. I've since fixed everything except for an important part, the low beam. Here is what I have.

The headlamp is an H4 sealed bulb. It has 3 connectors on the back of it. I am assuming that they are for 1. High Positive, 2. Low Positive, 3. ground for both. Bassically just like the rear brake lamp works. Now, i have my 2 wires coming from the handle bars that is switched power. I've tested both of the wires and they have a current. I have the ground runing to a universal ground in the main harness. The high beam works great when the switch is on HI. It's attached to the center upper pole on the light bulb. The negative is on the right pole, and if i connect the wire that is hot when i switch to low to the pole to the left, nothing works. Light just cuts out.

What I am guessing. The filiment is gone. I can't see in the face of the bulb well enough to see so I want to get input on this. If i can get this working i will have won the challange of fixing all that's $@#*!$@#*!$@#*!$@#*!ed w/ this bike and be able to ride w/o worries. Let me know any input you have.

Thanks.

marshall
Old 4th April 2006
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: CX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
a45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nice

are you sure about the pinout on the bulb? you can test it with a battery charger
progressive suspension
Old 4th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by a45junkie
are you sure about the pinout on the bulb? you can test it with a battery charger
I'm not quiet sure I understand at all. How would I test it w/ a charger?
Old 4th April 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

looking at the pins bulb in hand, top pin high beam, right pin is low beam, left pin ground.

to test with batt charger, connect black to left pin, touch the other pins with red lead. if you get light on both pins the bulb is good, if not double check again. then test continuity of the low beam wire with a multimeter between the switch and the head light bucket.

hope this helps.
Old 4th April 2006
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd bet you have a blown filament. It doesn't really matter if you have the three wires all reversed around you should always get some light with all combinations of mixing things up. I'm not saying that in the end it can be mixed up... you have to eventually figure what the right wiring is... just that for light purposes if you have a ground on one pin and power on another... you should get some light out of the bulb.

Gazza
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th April 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about

Yeah...try replacing the bulb. Should always be the first thing on the list. Everything else sounds to be in order.
Old 5th April 2006

Ok, thanks for the heads up guys. I'll give it a run tomorrow after class. I got class in like 20 min.
Old 10th April 2006

Angry Just got a wee bit worse...

Ok, it was before that both beams didn't work on the headlamp. Now, if i tug a bit on the main wire, the lamp goes completely out. That a pain in the back end. It's not out all the time, just partial times. Like heavy turning or if i hit a bump it blinks. If i get off, tug on it, it goes out too. I haven't pulled it apart yet to see what's causing the problem, but I'll get to it tomorrow after class. I am guessing it's either a bad connection or just a jacked bulb.

I'll be testing the bulb via the method suggested before and we shall see, i don't want to have to buy anything else. Gar!

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 10th April 2006
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

If tugging on the wire or hitting a bump makes it come and go you might have one of the dreaded melted connector housing problems. If you get in there and that's happening that would be a cool oh that's all type of problem.

Take a look at JicJac's thread...
http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/foru...hlight=melting

Gazza
Old 10th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
If tugging on the wire or hitting a bump makes it come and go you might have one of the dreaded melted connector housing problems. If you get in there and that's happening that would be a cool oh that's all type of problem.

Take a look at JicJac's thread...
http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/foru...hlight=melting

Gazza
Gary, thank you for the link. I'll be looking close at it and seeing if it's the same thing. I know my connector looks totally different but might create the same problem. I'll post here when I figure it out and have it fixed for a good search reference. I just hope it's something easy.
Know Thy Hog