The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Paying Taxes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Paying Taxes Got questions, tips or advice???

Members Birthdays
Nightrider, jim wiseman (63), gone2dalake (61), bobzimm (58), JMan (47), csaintg (45), tinydawg (43), B.Curvin (43), eskiv (34), 05bluesportster (33), joka646 (30)
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage
RYCA Motors
Biltwell

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: V-Strom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
VisualFeast is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Taxes paid... dissapointing

SEII slip-ons, SE a/c (newer 29044-04B design), and rejet kit. Dealer did all the install & rejet.

Now there is less power up until almost full throttle, and now the engine will sometimes keep running a few seconds after I shut it off. Also, after it warms up, when I come to a red light/stop sign, it will idle too fast for 30-seconds to a minute, then will settle down to normal idle speed.

So I called the dealer and scheduled an appointment. He agreed it didn't sound right and wanted to take a look at it.

Are there any pointers I should keep in mind? Should I take the rest of the rejet kit with me when I drop it off?
Old 8th April 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like it needs the carb adjusted properly. Dynojet to the rescue. Jets are good but the kit addresses more than just idle and main jet. When it is right you will know it.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 8th April 2006
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Dealer fubared your stage 1 take it back and make them fix it right the 2nd time, free of charge for you.

just cause they are a H-D tech don't mean they have a clue what they are doing.

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

Riding Through Life One Mile At A Time!!!
Old 8th April 2006
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualFeast
Should I take the rest of the rejet kit with me when I drop it off?
Yes...

Since the dealer did the work, he'll fix it..

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 8th April 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
daesdaemar is on a distinguished roaddaesdaemar is on a distinguished roaddaesdaemar is on a distinguished road

I think it's a universal truth that a stage 1 done right definitely noticeably improves the performance. If not, something got done wrong...
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th April 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster Girl has disabled reputation

Is it HD of Greenville?

If so, grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Make 'em make it right. Sorry, but I haven't heard anything good about them....
Old 10th April 2006
Biker

Yeah, it's the H-D of Greenville... about 1 mi from my house!
Old 10th April 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TiBaal89 is on a distinguished roadTiBaal89 is on a distinguished roadTiBaal89 is on a distinguished road

Wow, that s. I have SEII's, A/C, and rejet.... it was an excellent improvement! There is something seriously wrong here....

[I][COLOR=Navy]Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down... [/COLOR][/I]

[B]'04 1250C[/B] :D

[url=http://tibaal89.com]check out my BLOG thing...[/url]
Old 11th April 2006
Biker

Is there some way I can look at the spare pieces left from the jet kit, and tell what jets they have put into my Sportster?
Old 11th April 2006
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: XS650 Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Trout has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualFeast
Is there some way I can look at the spare pieces left from the jet kit, and tell what jets they have put into my Sportster?
If your "kit" is a DynoJet kit, then yes, you should be able to tell, at least for the main jet. The kit comes with a 160, 170, 180, and 190 main. See which one is missing.

The DynoJet kit doesn't come with a pilot jet, because you don't necessarily need a larger one with their needle.

The "real" information you need to find out is which slot they put the clip on the needle jet. You have to remove the slide to see where the needle is set. I'll bet a buck they just slapped it on wherever... probably way too rich judging from your description of the problem. When I took mine off after I bought the bike, the needle was set too rich. I took my friends off (Wide-Glide) a few months ago and his was set too lean. The DynoJet instructions are VERY specific about where to set the needle.

In my tinkering, I've learned that the needle has a much bigger impact on the overall picture than either the main or the pilot jets.

If it were me, I'd buy a manual and learn to do it yourself, even though the dealer owes it to you to get it right. The fact is, they may NEVER get it right.

If you can follow written instructions, have a little patience, and can operate a screwdriver, then you can successfully tune a CV carburetor. For some reason, there are a few Harley Certified Mechanics that can't pull this off.
Know Thy Hog