The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > VENDORS > NRHS - High Performance
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Dead Creek Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Bison Motorsports
Get Lowered

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice
Default 98 S1W Mods

What should I consider for my first mods to my 98 S1W when I receive it ?? The bike has the V&H SSR2 muffler however I'm not sure what carb is on it. Are the heads a candidate for a good porting ?? I would like to see at least 100 H.P. at the rear wheel and a decent torque band.
Old 9th April 2006
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

That setup, V&H SS2R with stock S1W header, doesn't work half bad. There's a little more with certain other pipe arrangements, but not all that much until you get into the higher levels of ppreparation (over say 105hp), and the V&H slip-on gives a nice wide powerband.

Yes, Thunderstorms respond nicely to port work. We've put a number of folks over 100hp with Stage 2 Thunderstorms, a 1250 kit, Mikuni 42, and SE .536 cams. That basic package is how most folks have gotten there. It generally comes in at 103 to 107, we've had a high of 111 (Force pipe on that one). It has to be properly tuned, though.

Also think about an air cleaner, still have the stock bread box? I reccomend a HurricaneFlow.

Take a look at what it's got for an ignition module too ... the stock one starts bringing in some retard at 6200 or so, and then shuts down at 6800. The "race kit" module they sell gives full advance all the way to the rev limit at 6800. Another popular unit for that bike is the Dyna 2000 (8-pin on an S1W). It'll give you the option of going as high as 7500 on the rev limit. Static time it with the LED, put it on curve 4, and it's dead nuts right for about 90% of the street motors I've tried it on.
Old 9th April 2006

cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

Thanks, I'll have to wait till it arrives to see just what is on the bike and proceed from there. The breadbox is not on the bike, it has what looks like a round A/C on it so we'll see what carb is on it when it gets here. A Hurricane will probably be in order first. Does my bike have the lightened flywheel?? Is it safe to rev it to 7500???

Last edited by cjburr; 9th April 2006 at 15:50..
Old 9th April 2006

aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Cool. Thanks for thinking of us and just call us if & when we can help.
Old 9th April 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
arjay is on a distinguished roadarjay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburr
Is it safe to rev it to 7500???
Nope...redlines at 3000....when you're riding with me anyway

When are you picking it up Chris?

arjay
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th April 2006

Oops, missed that question.

With the stock valvetrain, nope. I wouldn't take it a bit past the factory 6800 limit. I've experimented with what happens using that exact valvetrain at higher rpm's. I've seen it go into full float at a touch over 7000. Leave it where it's at.

But our Stage 2 and 3 head porting includes upgraded valvetrain pieces that can handle more. We set it up specific to what you're doing. Depending on exactly what you're doing with the heads, we'll set it up to be safe anywhere between 7200 up to as high as you want to twist it.

You don't want excessive spring pressures, that just wears things out quicker. For example, you don't want me to set it up for 8000 rpm if you'll only twist it 7200. You'll have a valvetrain that'll need constant maintenance. But even worse is not enough pressure, that'll destroy things.

It's pretty easy to set these things up to be safe to say 7500 and still have good long life, though.
Old 9th April 2006

My friend from work is leaving on the 21st to hunt prairie dogs near where the bike is. He's going to pick it up when he's done hunting and bring it home to me!!!!
Old 9th April 2006

Thanks again, you didn't miss the question, I edited it in as an afterthought. I'll have to do some research on this bike and get a manual and read,read,read. Sounds like it's going to be a fun toy with lots of potential.

As far as the collectability of this particular bike, it might behoove me to think about stepping up to STD heads and keeping my stock stuff on the shelf in case I want to return it to stock at some point in the future.

Of course those Thunderstorm heads and a 1250 kit for my 883 don't sound bad either