The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
DK Customs
DK Customs
Superbrace.com
NRHS Performance Long 2

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Dyna Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Shamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished road
Question Help...Pinging

Yes, I read jetting 101

I just put a Mikuni HSR 42 on. I was running WAY too rich with my CV. I changed the plugs and ran about 120 miles Sunday and here's what I found. Plugs are clean as a whistle...no marks or colorization at all. The metal still looks like metal, porcellin, too.

The bike really runs great with no backfiring or carbfarting. The only thing is a very slight ping when I do a WOT roll-on from about 3,000 rpm. It doesn't lug at all. It starts going strong for about 500 rpm and then just a few scattered pings the rest of the way up. It really hauls ass, though.

I haven't touched the out of the box settings except the idle. Does this sound like I should raise the needle or...?

If so, how the hell do you do that? I have bigger main jets that came with it and they're easier to change.

Thoughts?
Old 11th April 2006
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: CX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
a45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nice

what kind of gas are ya using? an whats your max timing setting?
progressive suspension
Old 11th April 2006

Shamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished roadShamdog is on a distinguished road

Stock ignition set "normal" and 94 octane Sunoco Ultimate
Old 11th April 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 86 883/1250
MOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enoughMOREHP will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the timing is a tad to advanced.
Old 11th April 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 50 Anneversary Edition
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: HD Night Rod Special
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Dana is just really niceDana is just really niceDana is just really niceDana is just really niceDana is just really niceDana is just really niceDana is just really niceDana is just really niceDana is just really niceDana is just really niceDana is just really nice

If the timing doesn't help and the pinging is only at wide open throttle you might try increasing the main jet one size.
2009,2010 & 2012 Street Bike Track Champion -
Gainesville Raceway
2012 NHRA Div. 2 Bracket Finals-
Super Pro Bike Race of Champions WINNER
2007 Nightster Black and Orange
2007 XL50 Orange #699
2013 Night Rod Special
Nam '69/70
Jax, Fla. SemperFi
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th April 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
mark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished road

I'd agree, might be just a tad lean at WOT.
Old 11th April 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 05 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: V star classic wife's
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
grizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the rough

I just did same mod ...my end settings are 1 size bigger on main jet.. needle, moved clip to raise 1 needle 1 notch ...runs great plugs look perfect but its only been in the 50's here I'm thinking I might have to lean it out once summer gets here . You might be spot on with your settings once it warms up ..hope this helps

p.s. they made a really good " mikuni sticky " I must have read it 20 times
05 1200R Forcewinder XR air filter, Mikuni HSR 42,Super Trapp 2-1 pipe,TC88a ign., head light visor, chin spoiler, sport front fender, solo seat off 883, 12 and 1/2 inch dual rate Works shocks , dual rate Works fork springs
Old 11th April 2006

Read that sticky alot, too. Basically, I'm waiting for my NRHS top end to get here. I'm worried that if I'm a bit lean now, with 94 octane gas and cold weather, when I go to 10.5:1, cams, and stage 2 heads, I'll be way too lean. Can't dyno it for 500 miles so I don't want to blow the whole thing up while I wait.

I figure I'll just richen up the main jet now (easy fix) and see. Looks like raising the needle is more work so I'll skip that until after my build.
Old 11th April 2006
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

I don't know SQUAT about Mikunis, and even LESS about the new ignitions, but I'd check your ignition settings with someone who knows first...that's what this sounds like...and ignition advance adjustment....

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 11th April 2006

It's possible my timing isn't spot on, but I still don't want to be lean no matter what so I think I'll do the jet. I'll check the static timing, too, but don't have a way to do the dynamic timing.
Know Thy Hog