The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Sky Smith Insurance
S&S Cycle
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XB12scg
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
justiz00 is on a distinguished roadjustiz00 is on a distinguished road
Default 08 Sportster True Dual Exhaust Bagger Style Video Added.

Well, after a long while of putting this off I jumped in head first. Mind you this is my first attempt at exhaust building. I used the stock head pipes from my 08 sportster. I bought a biltwell weldup kit a while back and broke it out of the attic. The front pipe passes under the belt between the tire and master cylinder (plenty of room). The rear pipe runs straight down and back. Yes I know the left pipe is higher than the right one (work in progress). I am running the wetdreamz map right now (it is a similar exhaust system (basically drag pipes) but I will do a ride test in a few) but as of now that is what is loaded. Used 50' of that black exhaust wrap. Here are the pictures. Video of it idling being uploaded as I type, will post when I get it. The smoke is from burning in the wrap.

Old 12th July 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Black anniversary XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
shameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to all

Not a bad look if you can raise the right side and maybe tuck them in closer to the bike a little more. Good job.

Cool "Enter the Dragon" poster!
Old 12th July 2008
Flat Track Racer

Well, it runs pretty well. Tuning is pretty close, no pinging and plenty of low end. The exhaust is a lot quieter compared to the thunder head (from where I am sitting). The exhaust is noticable hotter than my thunderheader. That is the difference between the ceramic coating and not. Later on I am going to get some rigid mount slipons without the crossover provisions. WOT is pretty loud but cruseing is not as loud as you would think. I am going to get some 1/2 (probaby) round bar stock and make a U shaped brace to weld under the pipes around the tire so the pipe is not only supported by the weld and the wrap (ya right on the wrap).

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTBAttkStdA
Old 12th July 2008
Flat Track Racer

Added some 3/16" x 1" flat stock around the inner perimeter of the pipes like a U shape to keep the left pipe from being totally supported by the welds. Ill get a video of me riding later today or tomorrow. I like the fact it is quiet until I dont want it to be. Upon cold start I get the sputters and misses but that is above my head with the power commander. I tried adding and subtracting fuel in the range but did not help. Leaving the low range tuning to the pros. Not bad for about 8 hours and <$200. Tweeked the bracket to lower the left pipe to pretty close to the right one.
Old 12th July 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Mr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enoughMr.Hick will become famous soon enough

I like the style. looks alright man.

Old 12th July 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

Wow! Nice. I wonder if a welded in crossover might help with the tuning.
Old 12th July 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
gearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura about

I like the look from the back, but shouldn't the pipes be the same length or close to the same?
03 Vivid Black 883/1250, with 04 1200r/XB heads, Andrews N4 cams, Hurricane push rods.040 shorter than stock. Dyna 2000i ignition, Screaming Eagle ignition coil and wires. V&H Straight Shots, Generic tear drop with 3in wide K&N filter, 48 slow, 175 main, NOKH needle shimmed .043. Progressive front springs, 412 rear shocks. ♠ 79.5 HP, 77.96 TQ ♠ ~Kevin~
Old 12th July 2008
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1972 View Post
I like the look from the back, but shouldn't the pipes be the same length or close to the same?

In theory yes, but either way on this bike you will have a long pipe and a short one, even if the front went straight back and the rear curved under to the other side. Even the BT true dual kits the pipes are uneven length. The rear cylinder on the left side and the front cylinder running the length of the bike on the right side. If I had the room I would have did a 180 with the rear pipe and came out the left side in front of the battery cover but that hinders passenger foot room since our bikes are so short. A crossover might help the tuning, but once it is warm it runs fine (as the previous exhaust did). Idle is 950 to 1000 when warm. Thinking of some randy redneck echo tips with cone muffler inserts if the noise becomes a problem with johnny law.