The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (67), cartoad2001 (65), Dirty Ernie (59), bri1200c (51), pquirk (48), GOTWA (45), gremlinsteve (45), lbowles2 (43), Guess (35), rnaway22es, landon283 (26)
RYCA Motors
Superbrace
Foxcreek Leather
Biltwell

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute
Default battery issues

well when i got the bike they told me they put a new battery in it ( dont look new ) when they dropped it off the battery was dead so i charged it then installed a battery tender every time i ride i plug it back in and it takes longer to charge so how can i test it other than taking it to the local auto zone and have a load test done ?? its been on the charger for 24 hours and still charging at 5 amps ?? thanks !!
Old 16th April 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

any one here today ??
Old 16th April 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarejr
any one here today ??
here...but drinking. not tech time for me
Old 16th April 2006

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

arent these newer batteries agm? i dont know if you can do a hydrometer test. someone will answer soon.
Old 16th April 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

hey it s all good i drank too much last night so have a couple for me will ya !!!!
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarejr
hey it s all good i drank too much last night so have a couple for me will ya !!!!
i never disobey that order!!
wish i could be more help but i havent a clue as i havent run into a battery problem...yet.
Old 16th April 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTSB Crossbones
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
wabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like its time for a new one. How old is it?
Old 16th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabiker
Sounds like its time for a new one. How old is it?

sayed supposedly new
Old 16th April 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTSB Crossbones
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
wabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to behold

*Supposedly* is the working word. If it is a sealed Bat, ya cant use a hydrometer. If it aint sealed, 1 or 2 dead cells or nearly dead cells will give ya troubles. Autozone load tests are free.. Save a whole bunch of head scratching and trouble shooting if he just takes it in..... thats what Ive always done.
Old 17th April 2006
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

If you are charging the battery at 5 amps you have killed it. No motorcycle barttery should ever be charged at more than 2 amps. The preferred chargers are the automatic ones between .75 and 1.5 amps, like Battery tender or Battery Minder, or other similar ones from auto parts shops. These either shut off or go into a maintenance mode when the battery is fully charged.

A cheap load test is to fully charge the battery then, with the plugs disconnected and a voltmeter attached to the battery, crank the starter for 10 seconds [no more!]. If the reading goes below 10 volts the battery is toast.
Know Thy Hog