The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
S&S Cycle
S&S Cycle
Fix My Hog
Bison Motorsports

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha RD400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
ricodelfuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking carb off bike?

is it necessary to take the carb off the bike just to change to 42 jet to a 45?

thanks in advance - rico
Old 21st April 2006
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

nope. you can do it on the bike. Lots of folks here have. I'm sure some of them will chime in.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Old 21st April 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Sportster Girl had a real good pic of how to do that.
Old 21st April 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: '99
Other Motorcycle Model: Not yet!
hybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enough

It's alot easier just to take the carb off of the bike. Most people think its a big chore, but its really not that bad. With the carb off of the bike you get a better look at everything, and you can do a better job of cleaning. It's just a couple of vacuum hoses, some throttle cables, a fuel line, and a couple other small things. Its really not that bad, but I suggest that you go buy a HD service manual if you dont already have one!

1999 XLH1200, Vivid Black....Trimmed cam cover, Thunderheader, Ram Flo 400, Pingel petcock, forward controls, black drag bars w/4.5" pullback risers, relocated front turn signals, Progressive fork springs, 4-piston HD front caliper, and a bunch of black powdercoated stuff!

[U]Click to Enlarge[/U]
[URL=http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4504798][img]http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/1/1212393091.jpg[/img][/URL]
Old 21st April 2006

Sportster Girl has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricodelfuego

thanks in advance - rico

Hey rico, you can leave it on. You will need a 90degree #2 Phillips screwdriver to get the bowl screws off. I would replace them with socket head allens when you replace the bowl. The stock screws are junk.

Here's a pic with the bowl off:

You will also need to drill and pull the SILVER colored mixture screw cap. NOT the brass plug. You can drill a small hole with a drill (like a stubby bit in a dremel motor) then screw a small sheet metal screw in the plug and twist it out. This will give you access to adjustment your mixture.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st April 2006
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

All it takes is a tap on the float to give you more problems than you bargained for...

Take it off...clean it while you're at it.....

Getting to the mixture screw is the tough part...

I've had my carb off DOZENS of times, but I STILL don't work on it, on the bike...

For JUST a pilot jet change...I might....but not the first time I ever did anything to it....

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 22nd April 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricodelfuego

thanks in advance - rico
no ... I don't remove the carb for jet changes... and prefert o remove the tank to do needle adjustment...

As the rubber ring that the carb sits at the inlet manifold tends to get a set in it and if it's over 6 months old will often require changing.....

To keep removing and replacing the carb without changing the rubber ring is a recipe for problems...

HOWEVER...... it's a good idea to remove it the first time to give you a better view of where everything is.... just replace the rubber if it's over 6 months old or feels hard or shows an indent from where the carb sits .. and use a bit of silicon grease on it when ya put the carb back in....
Old 22nd April 2006
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

IMO it is a bad idea for a carb newbie to work the carb in the bike. It is an easy job to remove it. There is the float system which can easily be disturbed. There are the jets etc that are made of brass == soft. There are bolts and jets which may be very difficult to remove. This all calls for working on the bench.

To repeat: IMO it is a bad idea for a carb newbie to work the carb in the bike. It is an easy job to remove it.