The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
DRAWTOOL (64), svoracer (61), curly h (60), mosby (57), barry1967 (47), BiggyJ (47), the_MAD_Baker (46), deadeye (41), SharkMDick (39), bdbecker (31)
Superbrace.com
Energy One Clutches
Superbrace.com
Bison Motorsports

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Wildchild will become famous soon enoughWildchild will become famous soon enoughWildchild will become famous soon enoughWildchild will become famous soon enoughWildchild will become famous soon enoughWildchild will become famous soon enough
Question Screamin Eagle II baffle removal

I just changed over to the Screaming Eagle II exhaust. I don't really like the sound as much as I did my old exhaust, (Screaming Eagle I's). The change was a necessity due to a lost slip on in the hills of W. Virginia. Anyways, the SE II's are just too quiet! We've looked them over, and notice there are three screws inside near the outer edge of the exhaust. It looks like it would be possible to remove them. But, the dealer tells us that it isn't removable. We're wondering if the dealer just doesn't want to encourage us to remove them. Has anyone dealt with this? I ride an 01 883 Sporty. Stage I exhaust. Thanks.
Old 20th July 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Bada Bing is an unknown quantity at this point

The Sceamin Eagle 2 are the older and the new ones that are EPA approved are just called Sceamin Eagles. Most poeple I talked to like the SC 2 but not the newer SC.
If you have the newer ones you can take out the insulation and they sound alot better. I did that and wished I would have drilled a 1/2 in hole in the baffles. But I sold them for $200 and bought some Cycle Shacks which was louder but not as deep as the SC.
Mustang Wide Vintage Seat, Mustang Rear Pillion, Memphis Shades Slim Windshield, Memphis Shades Lowers, Chrome Oil Cover, Chrome Battery Cover, Chrome Upper Belt Guard, Chrome Bullet Style Turn Signal Visors, Chrome Visor Style Trim Headlamp Ring, Chrome H-D Logo Timer Cover, Chrome Headbolt Bridge Kit, Chrome Cylinder Base Cover, Chrome Tappet Block Cover Kit, Chrome LED Tail Lamp, Bell Leather Fork Bag, Kuryakyn License Plate Helmet Holder, RiggPaks CTB-200 Roll Bag, HD Rack, Sissy Bar & Pad, V&H Fuelpak, A/N Big Sucker A/C With Chrome Cover, Progressive 412 12.5 Rear Shocks, Chrome Lower Belt Guard, Superbrace Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs, Chrome Rear Sprocket Cover, Kuryakyn Cruise Bar, Vance & Hines Sideshots, Big City Thunder Baffles, Chrome ISO Shifter & Footpegs, Throw Over Studded Saddlebags, To be continued.....
Old 20th July 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Bigree will become famous soon enoughBigree will become famous soon enoughBigree will become famous soon enoughBigree will become famous soon enoughBigree will become famous soon enoughBigree will become famous soon enoughBigree will become famous soon enough

I have no personal experience with removing SEII baffles but here is a quote from Big City Thunder's website.

quote: "Turn your Screamin’ Eagle II mufflers into a completely new exhaust system in minutes and have a deeper, throatier tone to the exhaust note with our easy to install Thunder Monster replacement baffles. Slide out the old, slide in the new, no cutting, welding drilling or hassles. It’s that easy."

Even though it's a sales pitch, it must be "relatively" simple. No cutting or drilling to get them out.

Link to their site: www.bigcitythunder.com
Old 21st July 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha Vino 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
rfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nice

See the following thread for the easiest method I have found to remove SEII baffles. Are you sure they are SE II's? Mine only had two bolts on each pipe--one on the inside edge (towards the bike) and one on the bottom.

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/foru...748#post983748

The Company's official position has now been politically corrected to be anti-decent sounding and pro EPA, so the dealers are probably required to advise us that the baffles are not to be tampered with.
2005 XL 1200 Custom; NRHS 1250 Conversion, 10.5 - 1; Stage 2 Heads; SE 536 Cams; Jim's Hydrosolid lifters; NRHS adjustable pushrods; S&S Roller Rockers; Crankshaft by Darkhorse Crankworks; HurricaneFlow A/F; Hurricane Oil Filter; Mikuni HSR-42; S&S Intelligent Spark Technology Ignition; RB Racing LSR exhaust; Front and Rear Progressive Suspension; Oversize front tire; Superbrace Fork Brace; Speedway Microtach, lots of other bits and pieces.

THE $16,000 Sportster!
Old 21st July 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
rdarr40 is an unknown quantity at this point

My SEII slip ons have 2 bolts.
One facing almost straight down and one about horizontal on the inside.

I think the SEII has a nice sound. Louder than stock but not too loud.
The SEII with the Thunder Monster is LOUD!
It sounds good, at first I thought it was too metallic with the TM but it has grown on me.

No baffle has been reported to cause reversion issues and power loss.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st July 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha Vino 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
rfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nicerfranz1952 is just really nice

+1 on the Thunder Monsters!
Old 22nd July 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1250 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
vedub18t is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I might try taking out my baffles tonight. I was about ready to go out and buy a whole new exhaust system...this gives me a chance to try out some things before I go spend all that money...
Old 22nd July 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
04jr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Screamin Eagle II baffle removal

I got the big city thunder baffles. easy install & you will be totally happy.. great sound + increase in HP & torque
Old 23rd July 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide Ultra Class
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Urrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of lightUrrell is a glorious beacon of light

Are you sure you have SE 11s?
Mine like others have mentioned here have only 2 bolts holding the baffles in.
Old 23rd July 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1250 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
vedub18t is an unknown quantity at this point

I took out my baffles tonight, went out for a ride. I didn't notice any power difference or pops when i decelerated. I am going to modify my SEII baffles and put them back in, but I just had to go for a little ride to see how they sounded without anything there. They were loud when I got on the gas, but surprisingly not that loud just cruising around easily on the gas...
Know Thy Hog