The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
motobraz, dwr302, xlchjoe (60), rider31 (54), Viper (42), KJcrownRRdriver (42), krafty (38), EezyE (37), SmokeyXL (34)
NHRS Performance
Licks Holiday
NHRS Performance
Zippers Performance

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 Ironhead
SlmLrd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mounting gas tank

Ive looked at a bunch of pics, and cant tell the best way to mount a sporty tank to my Paughco frame. Checked out some of the items at bungking, and saw some bungs that might just do the trick.

Anyone use them? The tank I am using at the moment is lower than I want, and the sporty tank that I have is going to look nice. Seems pretty straight forward, but any tips would come in handy.

Kinda sucks that I am going to have to grind and weld. I thought i was going to keep the pea green frame, just out of convenience, and repaint the tank and fender. Maybe I can just drill a hole in the desired place in the frame and use spacers and bushings? hmmmm.

Last edited by SlmLrd; 23rd July 2008 at 09:22.. Reason: added info
Old 23rd July 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 Ironhead
SlmLrd is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I just answered my own question... Yeah, it is late. Goodnight!
Old 23rd July 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumphs
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
Campsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the rough

Try not to drill holes in the back bone of the frame, it will weaken it over time. Sometimes causing it to crack at the drilled holes, I have done it "sparingly"... the most susceptible hole is the rear one closest to where you sit.. looks like you are on the right track ... spacers are your friends when mounting tanks. On a rigid frame I like to use rubber "washers" cut from an old car or motorcycle inner tube. Also, you can get Sporty tanks with Low, Medium and a High Tunnels depending on the look you want..

looks like you can use 1/2" spacers and drill through the web. I use clamps made by Vice Grip to hold it all together before drilling ... step back and look at it before drilling... look at it from the back and front too... I like to mount my tanks for a compact look, I don't like a bunch of air between the motor and tank... but other guys do..

Jim