The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
Licks Holiday
Energy One Clutches
Foxcreek Leather
Fix My Hog

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: Toyota
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
yellow_v_max has disabled reputation
Default Classic Sound fr Cycle Shack? (ad nauseum)

Had a chance to speak to several people about their much-lauded Cycle Shacks, and also listen to their slip-ons.

I had wanted to make a switch from bored-out stock mufflers to C&S tapered slip-ons, but am perturbed that none of the sporties I have seen or heard has a nice oft-described as "BT" sound. On the contrary, the C&Ss tapered slip-ons sounds a little hollow with the non-removable baffles. The baffled SE2 I heard is also similar. My stock bored-out pipes have a deeper and "fuller" sound! And upon blipping the throttle, C&Ss and SE2s have a higher pitched "blaty" tone quality (too much high frequencies?) that is not to my liking (one man's music is another man's aural trash). I thought that since the C&Ss walls are rather thin (to save weight on a quarter tonne bike?!!), it did not help but contribute to the charateristics of such a "classic" sound. And hence the more affordable list price everywhere for them.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for slip-on, tapered pipes? I have come across Santee and some other "Dyna"-something stock-look-a-like slip-ons, but hesitate to buy a pair since I don't know what they sound like.

Last edited by yellow_v_max; 2nd May 2006 at 05:04.. Reason: spelling error
Old 2nd May 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

05low has disabled reputation

If you want the deep sound of a BT I would recommend the vance and Hines shortshots. A little more expensive but definetley worth the money
2006 Softail Standard (efi), black, vance and hines shortshots, S.E air cleaner with k&N filter, S.E re-map, chrome primary, 36 inch wide drag bars with 6 inch straight risers. Flame grips and pegs, and various other chrome add ons
Old 2nd May 2006
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: XS650 Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Trout has disabled reputation

What are C&C's?

I had a chance to listen to the new S&S slip-ons a few weeks ago, they sound great. But I think the Cycle Shacks sound great, so what do I know.

To get the deep rumble BT sound, you need some cubic inches... more than the 883 can provide. It's like trying to get a 1.8 liter to sound like a big block 454. It won't happen.
Old 2nd May 2006
Biker

Sorry, I meant C&S (cycle shacks) and not C&C.

I fully understand that we need to have volume (as in c.cs) to have a lower and deeper sound. But nicer sound can be had with some other pipes?

I am looking for tapers that look stock. Over here, the coppers work overtime! And not only the coppers look out for exhaust modification, another government agency, called Land Transport Authority, have officers on police bikes to look out for illegal mods. And unlike some states in USA, fines here start at $500. A 2nd offence is $1000. The 3rd will land you in JAIL!, so I am looking for really stock lookalike slipons...but with a nice rumble.
Old 2nd May 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

I think the issue is the type of muffler your using. Most C S Slip ons used I see are of the slash cut type, and they do have the sound.

If you like, I have a set in the shed, I would be happy to send them to you for say 50 bucks. they came off my 2003, so they will work on your 1995.
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd May 2006
Biker

Thanks for your offer Jeffytune, but tapered ones are the way to go here in my country. I found out fr the coppers that they actually have a framed picture reference of slash cuts on their wall in their office. Thought the SE2 slash cuts sound to high pitched when blipped.
Old 2nd May 2006
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: XS650 Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Trout has disabled reputation

Well, given the problems you have with the cops and the need to look stock... if it were me, I'd stay with the stockers. I have done some creative things with stock muffler shells. I have a set on the wall right now that are highly modified, look totally stock, sound low and cool, and pull like a freight train. There are a few mail order outfits that sell a Cycle Shack style baffle that you could weld right inside your stock muffler shells.

But officer, it looks like stock, smells like stock, tastes like stock, feels like stock... MUST be stock.
Old 2nd May 2006
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if you want the sound and don't want crap from the cops... you can do what my buddy who rides BMW with a six CD changer does... Download a bunch of Harley sound mp3s off the net, burn them to a CD and play them real loud through the quad sound system and turn the volume down when you see a cop

On a more serious note...
do you really know what a classic sportster sound sounds like? and you're not getting that confused with a panhead sound? I consider the classic sportster sound to be what you hear at the AMA flattrack races and that's relatively high pitched for a harley. More of a roar than a rumble.

Gazza
Old 2nd May 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: '99
Other Motorcycle Model: Not yet!
hybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
To get the deep rumble BT sound, you need some cubic inches... more than the 883 can provide. It's like trying to get a 1.8 liter to sound like a big block 454. It won't happen.
Well I'd just like to say its more like trying to get a 350 to sound like a 454, but I do agree that he needs more cubic inches! The best way to get a deeper heartier sound is to get a bigger motor!

....just buy a Thunderheader! Haha, the cops wont be able to catch you anyway!

1999 XLH1200, Vivid Black....Trimmed cam cover, Thunderheader, Ram Flo 400, Pingel petcock, forward controls, black drag bars w/4.5" pullback risers, relocated front turn signals, Progressive fork springs, 4-piston HD front caliper, and a bunch of black powdercoated stuff!

[U]Click to Enlarge[/U]
[URL=http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4504798][img]http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/1/1212393091.jpg[/img][/URL]
Old 2nd May 2006
Biker

Trout - can you kindly share what you did to your pipes for that "low" rumble?
Know Thy Hog