The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
S&S Cycle
S&S Cycle
RYCA Motors
Progressive Suspension

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Art Christofersen is on a distinguished roadArt Christofersen is on a distinguished roadArt Christofersen is on a distinguished roadArt Christofersen is on a distinguished road
Default new K&N filter kit

After reading through the entire SE ac filter thread (38 pages!) I went and checked out K&N's web site for their filter kit. I notice they say 'no jetting or fuel modifications needed' I would take this to mean no significant HP gains as major increase in flow would require adjustments to avoid a lean mixture.
Is this correct?
Old 26th July 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch900 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
sporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the rough

mine ran like crap after adding just the k/n filter kit but after a small rejet it runs much much better
Old 27th July 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Art Christofersen is on a distinguished roadArt Christofersen is on a distinguished roadArt Christofersen is on a distinguished roadArt Christofersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty01 View Post
mine ran like crap after adding just the k/n filter kit but after a small rejet it runs much much better
I actually find that encouraging. What change did you make?
Old 27th July 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I would take this to mean no significant HP gains
On my 2007 1200 I did the Gronk mod to the mufflers, opened up the AC backing plate and installed the K&N AC. When I had a baseline pull on the dyno I gained 2 HP and there was no change to the AFR. Not worth my efforts. My 2ó.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 27th July 2008
Flat Track Champion

sporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the roughsporty01 is a jewel in the rough

off the top of my head i think i went from a 175 on the main to a 180 and from a 42 on the slow to a 45. but if yours is an Ryou may already have those i may be wrong but i think the R has different jets than the C

Last edited by sporty01; 27th July 2008 at 20:28.. Reason: added information
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th July 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 833C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
powellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
On my 2007 1200 I did the Gronk mod to the mufflers, opened up the AC backing plate and installed the K&N AC. When I had a baseline pull on the dyno I gained 2 HP and there was no change to the AFR. Not worth my efforts. My 2ó.

Exactly. I got a K&N air filter, Rush 1.75" slip-on mufflers, drilled out the back plate for the air cleaner, and SHAZAM, almost no perceivable change. A little, but my golly, what a lot of work and money for almost nothing. And the plugs looked fine, and the oil temperature was fine without any change of program.

The Rush mufflers do sound nice though. La de dah.
Old 27th July 2008
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellsanmiguel View Post
Exactly. I got a K&N air filter, Rush 1.75" slip-on mufflers, drilled out the back plate for the air cleaner, and SHAZAM, almost no perceivable change. A little, but my golly, what a lot of work and money for almost nothing. And the plugs looked fine, and the oil temperature was fine without any change of program.

The Rush mufflers do sound nice though. La de dah.
K&N only claims 1 to 4 horsepower increase so yours is right in line with what they claim.