The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Tags
brakes, brembo, brembo brakes, vrod brakes

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2008
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brembo Caliper Install...Lot of pics

Ok, I've been following Whittlebeast's thread about his testing different brake calipers (here) and wanted to give it a try. I collected the following parts:

VRod Brembo caliper - 44732-06a - $144 (Zanotti)
VRod Floating Rotor - 44405-07 - $134 (Zanotti)
VRod Caliper Banjo Bolt - 41752-06a - $14 (Zanotti)
Lyndall Gold pad 7254 - $52 (Phat Performance)
Goodridge Brake Hose Ebony 36" (should have gotten 33") - $24 (Phat Performance)
Goodridge Banjo Fitting 10mm 90* (for the caliper side) - $11 (Phat Performance)
Goodridge Banjo Fitting straight 3/8" 10mm (MC side - for stock single caliper MC) - $9 (Phat Performance)
Goodridge copper crush washers 10mm - $4

If you are going to be using a 1200R Master Cylinder, you will want a 12mm banjo fitting instead of the 10mm.

The actual install was rather easy. Really just a matter of unbolting parts and bolting other parts back on. If you are familiar with doing brakes (either on a bike or car), this will be a breeze. If it's the first wrench you are ever going to turn, I would recommend having someone with a little experience help you out. And if you've never worked on brake lines before...plan on having PLENTY of rags on hand and don't let the brake fluid get on anything you care about (like paint). The install time took maybe 3.5 hours (and that included plenty of smoke breaks and picture posing! ).

WARNING/DISCLAIMER - I rarely look at my service manual...I probably should, but don't. I probably do some things they don't recommend or have a different approach on. Please, refer to your manual and take everything I say as rubbish. This is just what works for me, not necessarily the "proper" way to do things.

The tools I ended up using were all fairly common tools:

9/16", 3/4", 5/16", 10mm, 12mm sockets, T40 Torx socket, 3/16", 5/16" hex drives (could use allen wrenches), ratchets, 3/8", 7/16", 1/2" wrenches, Screwdrivers, loctite, vacuum pump (to bleed the brakes)

I started by putting the bike on a lift:

Then I removed the caliper from the forks with a 10mm socket (in hindsight, I should have started by removing the bango bolt because I remounted it to remove it later on):

Then I removed the axle nut (3/4" socket):

Next was loosening the pinch nut on the other side of the forks (9/16"):

After this the axle just pulls right out (and spacers drop to the floor ):

Next I removed the bango bolt (12mm?) from the stock caliper. I remounted it so I could get some leverage. No biggie.

I shoved the stock brake line into an empty oil container to keep the drips to a minimum:

Fastened it with a bungie to keep it in place while I worked:

Probably didn't need to, but I removed the right hand turn signal so I wouldn't drip brake fluid all over it. It's one bolt to loosen and I tucked it out of the way (can't remember the size of the allen key for the TS):

Using a 12mm socket I removed the bango bolt from the Master Cylinder:

I then removed the brake line from the bike, you just need to undo the two clips that hold it into place. The one is on the back side of the top triple tree (5/16" socket) and the other is on the very bottom of the lower triple tree (3/16 hex/allen).

With everything off the bike, I turn towards the wheel. Just need to back out the 5 torx bolts (Torx T40) holding the brake rotor on. My bike has over 36,000 miles on it. These bolts were a little *snug*, so it was a good time to break out the impact hammer wrench:

After a few whacks...the bolts back out without any issues:

Here's why you need to replace the rotor (notice the new one is *just* a little larger):

Here's the stock laying on top of the new one...look closely and you can see the difference:

Ok, this is where I pretty much stopped taking pictures. Everything pretty much just bolts back together. BUT, I HIGHLY recommend following your Factory Service Manual for instructions (not some guy named Screw Loose). Make sure you use loctite and torque everything properly. This is something your life depends on and you should take your time putting it back together. Even I followed the FSM for reassembly. In all honesty, everything bolts together just like stock. Take care running the new brake cable so it doesn't rub or get caught on the tire.

Here's a before picture (stock):

Just done:

After a bedding session:

Here was the mess of brake line before:

Here's the new line run:

Well, that's pretty much it for the install. Below are my thoughts on this.

While I haven't put many miles on the new caliper yet, I will say that it IS an improvement. The brake lever feel leaves something to be desired...but I knew this since I wasn't replacing the master cylinder. The lever can be pulled nearly to the grip. But, from my road tests when I run out of lever travel it is JUST at the verge of loosing grip with the front tire. Even at 60+ mph the tire starts to howl when grabbing the front brake hard. This never happened with the stock brakes at those speeds.

Another thing I noticed was how quickly the brakes cooled down. During my bedding session I heated the brakes up (to the point of fade), but they came back quite quickly. Looking at the caliper it's pretty obvious these suckers got a really good ventilation system, so it only makes sense. That mesh silver panel on the back side of the caliber is really a functional vent.

I'll report back as I get a chance to go out and hit the twisties and really test these binders on for size. I'll probably eventually replace the Master Cylinder (Whittlebeast recommends a 1/2" for a single VROD setup). But, I might hold off until I get new forks and a second caliper to have a dual caliper setup.
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)

Last edited by Screw Loose Dan; 30th July 2017 at 14:19.. Reason: spelling and such...I'm sure there's more to be corrected...(7/2017-updated pic URLs)
Old 27th July 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
phmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enough

awesome write up. If I had the money, stopping power is key.
Old 27th July 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
CaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond reputeCaptEvo has a reputation beyond repute

Great write up Dan.
Old 27th July 2008
~~RIP Johnny G~~

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Paulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to beholdPaulie420 is a splendid one to behold

Hey really good write up, some rep for you... these are the types of posts I rely on for my technical saavy.

You did a great job. If possible, would you post the differences after you ride for a little bit?

Gonna do the rear? I really wanna beef up my braking. Let us know how these compare to stockers.

Thanks.

I wish there were a way for mods or someone to flag the really good how-to's for easy access.

Nice write up. If I do this mod ever, I'll be printing your thread.

WORD!

2005 Sportster 1200 Custom
Vance & Hines Sideshots, Screamin Eagle A/C, Detachable Sissy Bar, LayDown Brake Light, Smoked Lenses, SaddleBags, And an Attitude to Boot

Old 27th July 2008
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmann View Post
awesome write up. If I had the money, stopping power is key.
Thanks! While I bought all the parts new, I have seen the calipers on eBay for much less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptEvo View Post
Great write up Dan.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie420 View Post
Hey really good write up, some rep for you... these are the types of posts I rely on for my technical saavy.

You did a great job. If possible, would you post the differences after you ride for a little bit?

Gonna do the rear? I really wanna beef up my braking. Let us know how these compare to stockers.

I wish there were a way for mods or someone to flag the really good how-to's for easy access.
Thanks for the kind words. I will report back once I get out on the twisties and get to truly try these babies out. I've out ridden the stock brakes plenty of times, so I'm anxious to see how these do.

My 07 seems to have plenty of rear brake. I've never out ridden it and it's easy enough to lock-up the way it is (I imagine it'll even be easier now with the added weight transfer).

You can always send a PM to a mod to suggest a thread gets made a sticky for easy reference.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words.
Old 27th July 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Great Mod.

Question, (Although I think I already know the answer)

do you know if this will work on a Solid Mount ?

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 27th July 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant futuretoe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
Great Mod.

Question, (Although I think I already know the answer)

do you know if this will work on a Solid Mount ?

2000-2003 have the same bolt pattern on the forks, so the calipers and rotors will work.

I'm not sure if the M/C are interchangable from 2004+ to 2000-2003..........

The Only Y2K dual-set 883C
So Cal
Old 27th July 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe View Post
2000-2003 have the same bolt pattern on the forks, so the calipers and rotors will work.

I'm not sure if the M/C are interchangable from 2004+ to 2000-2003..........
I should Specify. Pre 2000 solid Mount..
Old 27th July 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
slickdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Write up, Better than Haynes or Clymer!!

One Thing I usually do is take the Master cylinder cover off and cover with clingfilm then bolt it back on, while removing calipers, this creates a bit of a vacuum and stops the fluid coming out.
Sponsored Links
Old 27th July 2008
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Great write up. Dan.

What's the alternative for a larger m/c, the one from the dual disk R?

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)