The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Licks Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Dead Creek Cycles

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
ejhc1 has disabled reputation
Default Newbie - How to change the clutch

Hello,

I own a 2001 Hugger with 20,000 miles on it. Really happy w/ the bike until I started hearing a lot of noise chatter from the Primary Case. From reading all the Posts here at the XLForum it looks like I may have a problem with the infamous "riveted Spring Plate" coming apart. I plan on keeping the bike for awhile so I thought about doing the Barnett Extra Plate upgrade (HDP-11EPK).

I've already done the cheap fixes: Fluid changes, Primary chain and clutch adjustments but the thing still chatters and drags somewhat.

Is a clutch change something I can do myself? Also, what tools and any recommended parts will I need for it? I do own the HD service manual for my bike.

Thanks for the assistance,

Eric
Old 3rd May 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

to the forum from Michigan. Haven't had to change a clutch yet but you can take a look in the section for drivetrain and clutch. Should get some insight there.

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 3rd May 2006

RedRider has disabled reputation

Welcome aboard.

What kind of oil are ya running in the primary?
Old 3rd May 2006
Post no Avatars!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH-883D
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
decman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome,

The only special tool needed is a clutch spring compressor.
Some people make their own.
Old 3rd May 2006
Biker

Tom Terrific has disabled reputation

Don't know about your model but my 93 had a bearing go bad in the clutch adj-sounded like gravel for a while and then the clutch would not stay in adj. pretty easy fix matched bearing at car quest pressed it out with a spark plug socket and re installed. new fluid and gasket now is smooth as silk!! worth a shot to check. T.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd May 2006
Biker

Default Thanks for the Welcome!

I've been riding my Sporty for the last 5 1/2 years and when I changed the transmission oil this last time it looked more watery. I change it every 5000 miles. I still used the HD Sports-Trans Fluid and regular HD 20w-50 oil in my bike.

My clutch problem started one day last week when I started hearing a whine noise from the primary. That noise soon grew to a chattering noise on the 3rd day. After that I went through the XL Forum for ideas about what it was and it looks like the simple easy fixes have not cured it.

I'll be looking into getting one of the clutch removal tools and be waiting to hear from anyone on how a clutch is changed on a Sporty or what not to do. I do have the manual so I just need some basic pointers on what to look for once I break open the Primary Case. I never done a clutch job so this will be pretty interesting.

Thanks for all the info!

Eric
Old 3rd May 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: Rat Bastard
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL175-Rot'n Bastard
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
Scooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really nice

welcome to the forum
Old 3rd May 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Other Motorcycle Model: Custom Shovelhead Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
H@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum
Old 3rd May 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250R Hammer Performance
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
leo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to behold

welcome to the forum. go over your service manual and think to see if this is something you are comfortable in doing yourself...
Old 4th May 2006
Biker

Default Thanks for all the info, again.

I made a call to Barnett Clutch this morning and they said changing the clutch wasn't too hard. They said the hard part was removing the primary cover and hopefully I don't strip any of the screws.

Now I'm gonna order the parts and the clutch removal tool. I don't know if I have the talent or tools to fabricate my own though.... Anyway I'll probably use the tool again or help my brother on his 05 Sportster one day.

Thanks - I'll post back my results for future reference to anyone.

Also, I'll work on learning to add pictures to my posts.
Eric
Know Thy Hog